Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

98 GS400 p0171

More
3 years 10 months ago #40982 by vroomvroom
98 GS400 p0171 was created by vroomvroom
Hello, Im absolutely stumped on this problem, so I purchased a gs400 with a valve tick, except it was not a valve tick and it was the cam sprocket falling off due to probably mis-torquing, so i replaced the sprocket, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, valve cover gasket, crank and cam seals. all back together starts and runs, but then gave me a lean code, found a leak in the intake manifold gaskets, replaced those, Im not getting a quick code anymore. Yet my fuel trims are still 25-30% total at idle, revving the engine to 2500-3000 and it drops to 15% total. Ive cleaned maf, checked the readings, O2s are cycling normally. It was not setting a code before surprisingly. Im seriously stumped, I have checked for vacuum leaks multiple times, I basically soaked the motor with brake clean and propane, no change. Ive plugged all the vacuum lines temporarily and it still sits at 20-25%. This looks like a vac leak but I cant find any.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #41039 by hoosierrick
Replied by hoosierrick on topic 98 GS400 p0171
Could a camshaft be off a tooth?

More
3 years 10 months ago #41042 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic 98 GS400 p0171
Do a compression test on all cylinders for that bank. Could be a bent valve since sprocket came off

More
3 years 10 months ago #41048 by vroomvroom
Replied by vroomvroom on topic 98 GS400 p0171
I will do that and double check the timing is right, however i have checked the valve clearance while replacing the cam seals whoch they were all in spec and the fuel trim numbers are for both banks, not just from one.

More
3 years 10 months ago #41079 by vroomvroom
Replied by vroomvroom on topic 98 GS400 p0171
the camshaft timing is right, the compression is about 125-135psi cold and dry. I'm absolutely stumped
the only thing wrong i see is maybe the k&n intake, but it was on there before i did the job.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds