Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Subaru Outback H6 overheating

More
3 years 10 months ago #40981 by cabanick
This car is making me crazy. Drove about 200 miles a few weeks ago, highway driving with the ac on. Temperature perfect. Got off the interstate and the gauge starts climbing. Turn on the heater for some extra help and cool air is blowing out. Both cooling fans working. coolant reservoir full. Thermostat is new. I am going to change the temp sensor, but not real confident that is it. Any ideas?
Chris b

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40989 by Tyler
The poor heater output suggests a severe lack of coolant flow, or a gas pocket in the heater core. I see that the reservoir is full, but is the actual system full? A Lisle funnel or the like can help with bleeding air out:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6AS6LY/?ref=exp_scannerdanner_dp_vv_d

Use the same funnel to confirm that the thermostat is opening (even though it's new) and that the water pump is capable of moving coolant. Monitor ECT on the scanner and heater vent temperature at the same time to track if/when it starts overheating.

Is the pressure cap OE? New? It's possible to have a cap that won't hold pressure, lowering the boiling point. Failed caps can also cause coolant to vent to the overflow, but not back into the radiator.

And, because it's a Subaru, has a block test been performed yet? This is also easy to do with a Lisle funnel.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPDL76/?ref=exp_scannerdanner_dp_vv_d

More
3 years 10 months ago #41024 by cabanick
Thanks for the info. I will buy the funnel. Yes the cap is new OEM, but the thermostat is a new gates, I think. I purchased the OEM but have not yet installed it.
The funnel will certainly help to answer some of the questions. It will be a couple of weeks before I have any updates. This is a spare car, not everyday driver.
Thanks again, Chris b

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds