Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Challenge Question: Mercedes C200 W203 2006 Diesel

More
3 years 11 months ago #40697 by fadilabban
Hi Everyone,

I am repairing a car for a good friend of mine in France, and it is quite intriguing!

Symptoms: The car is a Mercedes C200, W203, 2006, Diesel (photo attached)
A few days prior, the RPM did not work, then it worked again and no other issues at that time.
Then, a few days later, the dashboard suddenly stopped working, the dashboard lights are like a X-Mas tree, all lit
the headlights are always on, when I put the key on (probably by default, maybe when the Instrument Cluster is bad, the car puts on the lights all the time)

Diagnosis: I did a full scan, and the codes I got are modules no communication with IC (I guess IC refers to Instrument Cluster, ie dashboard)
The common thing about the various codes is: No Communication with IC
So, I removed the IC (dashboard), it is easy on this model
It has 7 wires:
one 12v
two 0v
two green wires for CAN communication: 2.3v to 3.5v, and 2.3v to 1.6v waveforms
two brown wires for CAN communication: 5v to 1v, and 0v to 4v waveforms

I checked the waveforms on these wires with my Pico, the two green first, then the two brown, first connector unplugged, then connector plugged
The waveforms look ok, I did not see anything weird.

Intriguing Question: How come I can see communication waveforms on the dashboard, and at the same time No Communication trouble codes?

Thanks so much
Fadi
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40698 by Matt T
Just because there's CAN traffic at the dash doesn't mean it's sending anything back out. Can you see the dash/IC as an available module with your scan tool?

More
3 years 11 months ago #40722 by fadilabban
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I see KI Instrument - No Connection
I guess this is the dashboard.
I think you are right, we are not sure the dashboard is talking back on the network.
I opened the dashboard and I saw black moist powder on the small motors of the RPM and Speed.
I then connected the dashboard, it got lit, then i pressed gently on the electronic board of the dashboard, its lights went off, then back. it seems the dashboard electronic board has gone bad.
I ordered a used one yesterday on ebay for 66 euros from England.
I will let you know once I install it, whether the problem gets solved.
Thanks so much for your help
All the best
Fadi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 10 months ago #40862 by fadilabban
Hi Again,
I received the dashboard instrument cluster, installed it, and it worked fine!
thanks so much for you help
All the Best
Fadi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
3 years 10 months ago #40863 by Matt T
Thanks for letting us know. Hope your friend realizes how lucky he is getting a Merc fixed that cheap. Did the replacement cluster being from a UK car, which I'm guessing was set up for miles, cause you any problems?

More
3 years 10 months ago #41117 by fadilabban
Hello,
sorry for my late reply, once we installed it, it showed in Miles, but there is an option to change it to Km using the buttons and the options. that was easy. However, we face another small problem, the Odometer is showing dashes like this: - - - - - , and not showing the real value of 165000 km! I read on internet, and it looks like on this type of Mercedes, there is a complicated procedure to show the odometer (mileage). Mercedes tries by all means to force you to take the car to the dealership...
My friend found a guy who can do it, he is asking for 100 euros!!! I need to learn how to do these stuff! take care, Fadi

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds