Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Dodge Ram misfire

More
3 years 10 months ago #40629 by ezimoto
Dodge Ram misfire was created by ezimoto
Hi guys
Looking for any advice with diagnosing misfire on a 2004 5.7 Dodge Ram, in UK and not familiar with this at all.
Not gone into detail yet as didn't have much time but only has P0300 code, doesn't appear to have captured freeze frame for some reason. Horrible -18 and -33 ltft, stft at idle is +2 and +3. Has nasty misfire feel at idle and stalls after being revved.
Guy has replaced crank and cam sensors, plugs, 4 x O2 sensors and coil packs (strange HT lead / coil pack setup!), mostly Mopar parts which doesn't mean a lot to me.
Quick vacuum test showed 18hg at idle, appeared to behave normally without signs of blocked exhaust.
MAP 1.5v at idle.
Was thinking of doing fuel pressure test and look at EGR valve, hoping there's a chance someone here will be experienced with these and give some direction or maybe point out something common.
For reference I'm using MS908P as my Verus Pro does not cover US vehicles. Can obviously go OBD with either.
Thanks in advance
Ezi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40630 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Dodge Ram misfire
I'd suggest a relative compression test before digging too deep. 5.7's are known for all kinds of mechanical failures. Plus, the fuel control system gets completely screwed up with a mechanical issue.

Your Autel should (hopefully) have the Which Cylinder is Misfiring function, for live misfire counters. They may call it something else? Keep your eyes open, as always.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40634 by ezimoto
Replied by ezimoto on topic Dodge Ram misfire
Thanks very much, relative test is a good call.
Misfire counters and mode 6 were proving a bit elusive, was only meant to be a quick code read for the owner but ended up getting more involved with not much time to spare.
Next visit can be more detailed I hope.
Speaking to him this evening it seems this whole situation is intermittent which I hadn't realised, gets worse!

More
3 years 10 months ago #40635 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic Dodge Ram misfire
Ltft 's tell me a vac leak. Does the missfires happen when cold or hot or all the time. If it's when it's cold would say to smoke test or spray water around intake and listen for water being sucked into intake. Also check egr tubes and valve and various vac lines as well as intake air tube from filter housing to engine for torn/cracked intake tube if it has a maf by filter housing

More
3 years 10 months ago #40636 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Dodge Ram misfire

ezimoto wrote: Mopar parts which doesn't mean a lot to me.

Mopar is Chryslers parts brand. Same deal as Ford/Motorcraft. So hopefully you won't have garbage replacement parts complicating things.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #40637 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic Dodge Ram misfire

Hardtopdr2 wrote: Ltft 's tell me a vac leak.

LTFT's are negative. This indicates a RICH condition. The computer is subtracting fuel. Vacuum leaks, generally, create LEAN conditions, with positive fuel trims.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hardtopdr2

More
3 years 10 months ago #40638 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic Dodge Ram misfire
Definitely need a new phone cracks in screen screwing me up lol thanks

More
3 years 10 months ago #40647 by ezimoto
Thanks for input guys, at least new parts should be ok even though it probably didn't need them.
Positive condition with vac leak would have been simpler but sadly not.
No MAF on this thing, just MAP.
Not at all what I'm used to, wish I was two feet taller to work on the thing!
All suggestions welcome before I find time to get back to it next week, thanks.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40648 by ezimoto
On a side not does anyone have any information on the coil packs with HT leads system, don't think it's anything to do with the problem but interested to see what it's all about?
Tried googling but most similar vehicles seem to have standard coil packs, not sure why there'd be HT leads thrown into the mix?
Thanks
Ezi

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #40649 by juergen.scholl
Replied by juergen.scholl on topic Dodge Ram misfire
Scandata list will be helpful, at idle and under load......, map looks sightly high.

Meanwhile I'll throw the silverbullets at you:

flex fuel (alcohol content), fuel pressure, evap system to start with.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40652 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Dodge Ram misfire

ezimoto wrote: On a side not does anyone have any information on the coil packs with HT leads system, don't think it's anything to do with the problem but interested to see what it's all about?

That engine is 2 plugs per cylinder. The ignition is COP/wasted spark for want of a better description. Each coil is COP and the HT lead goes to a plug on the cylinders TDC twin on the other bank.

More
3 years 10 months ago #40660 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Dodge Ram misfire
The ignition system on these engines is a clusterf***. Why? Because Dodge. :silly:

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram products usually read heavily rich in response to an exhaust restriction, so that's where I'd be headed.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds