Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

COP system with secondary

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #40448 by John Curtis
Here’s a capture of a misfire event, I didn’t have time to current ramp it and can’t capture primary voltage, but I think this is enough to call a bad coil. What’s your thought?

I’ve ruled out engine mechanical.

This coil was shielded so I used a capacitive pickup on a wire.

I didn’t scope the command because you can see it tried to fire.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by John Curtis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40449 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic COP system with secondary
Shorted secondary is my first thought. What YMM is it?

More
3 years 11 months ago #40450 by juergen.scholl
4 cyl engine, dead miss? Make sure the plug's electrodes are not shorted....

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40452 by Andy.MacFadyen
I think we need more info on vehicle, engine type and ignition style and RPM the capture was taken at ---- sparks look awful close together for a COP, if it was a 4 cylinder distributer ignition I would go straight to a plug wire or cap or spark plug.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #40455 by John Curtis
It’s a 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, 8 cyl not sure of displacement but I know they did a swap for the last one locking up. I go back tomorrow so I didn’t get to get my current ramps. It is a coil near plug on this system. I actually have similar events happening on at least one other cylinder. What is getting me is not able to get primary voltage. I was thinking shorted secondary but it’s happening on more than one coil. Fuel trims look normal bank to bank.

The symptom is a slight miss when engine is at operating temp. The capture is at idle. Maybe 500 to 550 rpms

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by John Curtis.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds