Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2009 Kia Sportage LX 2.0 Crank no spark

More
3 years 11 months ago #40323 by dac
I have a 2009 Kia Sportage LX 2.0 4cyl automatic. I was accelerating down the express way and suddenly, I lost engine power. I pulled over and the car was still running. I thought I blew a cylinder or head gasket. I opened the hood to take a look. Engine seemed to be running fine. Got back in the car, and still had no power. I drove the remaining 10 miles home, limping along. Could never get the speed over 25 miles an hour. Finally pulled into the driveway and shut the car off. Figured I would check things out the next day.

The next morning, I tried to start the car and although it would crank, the car would not start. I expected an engine light or scan code, but found none when scanning with an ODBII reader. Started researching the internet for likely causes of the issue. Could be the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, a fuse or relay, maybe a timing belt.

I got no spark from the plugs. I checked the two ignition coils and both were within specs. I checked all the fuses and relays and found nothing bad. I did not have an oscilloscope, so I started replacing parts. I bought a camshaft position sensor, and a crankshaft position sensor. After replacing, I still had the same problem. I traced every wire of the sensors to the specific ECM connection points, verifying I had connectivety to the ECM.

After looking very closely at the timing belt position, it seems like it was off one tooth. I could not be positive, but since I knew the car was at 88k miles and the belt was never replaced, I replaced it. A new water pump came with the kit, so I replaced that too. I removed the valve cover and verified the back chain was good, and that the number 1 cylinder was at top dead center. I am sure I put the belt on correctly.

Through all of this, still no ODBII codes. I figured; it must be the ECM. I found a used one in the junk yard from a 2007. Plugged it in and still had the same problem. I bought an oscilloscope and checked out the crankshaft and camshaft position sensor. I got something from them, but nothing close to a real square wave. Seemed like a bunch of noise. I did verify the sensors were getting 12 volts and a ground. I am thinking maybe this oscilloscope is not working correctly. It only cost 50 bucks from Amazon. Hooked it up to a similar car and verified a good square wave from that car.

I measured the voltage at the camshaft position sensor with the ignition on. It was getting 12 volts. When attempting to crank the engine, the voltage dropped to 10 volts the entire cranking time. Doing the same test on the other Kia, the voltage dropped to 10 volts only for a second, then went up to 11.5 volts. I hard wired 12 volts to the camshaft sensor on my Kia, hooked up the oscilloscope, and got a much better wave form.

At this point, I am thinking it must be the ECM. Maybe the one I got from the junk yard was bad. Ordered another used one online from a car in an accident, same year and specs. Thinking this ECM was probably fine. Received the ECM, plugged it in and still have the same problem. Now I am thinking it must be an ignition switch problem. Kind of grasping for anything at this point.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40326 by dac
Anyone have an idea on what this thing is that is bolted to the bottom of the ignition? Stamped with a "KM". I took apart the ignition, checked the switch. Everything looks good to me. Hard to put the switch back together though.

I should mention, I have been working on cars since 1980. Even been ASE certified in the 1980's. Used to drive a tow truck and repair cars. Covered AAA in the area.
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #40330 by juergen.scholl
You got a capable scanner that will read (not only) live data?

When changing the ecm you have to program the immobilizer function, otherwise the car won't start. Is there an immo indicator/ tell take light on....( Immo usually cuts injection, do you have injection pulse or is it missing as well?)

A voltage drop to 10V during cranking is normal, no problem there.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40333 by dac
Thanks for the reply!

There is no immobilizer light at all. I believe this car does not have an immobilizer. The key does not have a chip and there is no antena around the ignition. I read somewhere on the internet that this car, this, year, in the US, does not have it. Is there an easy way to definitively find out? Of course, you can find anything on the internet...

The osciliscope I bought was a Hantek HT6022BE. Using the original software, have only been able to basically take screen shots. I expected to be able to do a running capture, like a 5 minute window. As far as I can tell, it is live only. There is other software for this scope, including some open source software like OpenHantek. I have not tried other software. I do not have a lot of experience using osciliscopes, learning every day though. I bought a wave form generator in kit form (12 bucks from Amazon), just to test out the osciliscope.

I have not checked the fuel injection. At one point, I was using ether as an isolation test and then found out I have no spark. Figured, I better resolve the spark issue before anything will work.

At this point, I am starting over and rechecking the ignition coils and connections. I don't know what else to do.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40335 by juergen.scholl
The service information states there is an immobilzer??

There is a way to record with the hanteks, you have to adjust the buffer size....but it is really itchy and not great. The open hantek software allows for easier handling but can't overcome the instrument's overall shortcoming.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #40682 by dac
I verified this car does not have an immobilizer. I found out what the problem is. The reluctor rind disintigrated. Let me say, the videos and this site was very helpful to find out what the problem was. I could not figure out why the crank sensor did not work correctly. I found all the pieces in the bottom of the oil pan.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by dac.

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds