Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

97 Dodge ram 5.9l magnum crank no start

More
3 years 11 months ago #40113 by Jansa
So I posted to try and get some repair help and when I could not the project got put on hold. I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.9L magnum. Replaced the engine with a working one out of a 1996 dodge ram 1500 5.9l magnum. Went to start it and it cranked but would not fire. A cam sensor code came up so I replace it w a new one. Still no start. I also replaced the crank sensor and checked out a few other things. I for some reason my signal wires are getting pulled to ground on the cam crank and tps. When I unplug then they go back to their 5v reference. I ran my code reader while the cam sensor was unplugged and I then got a battery temp. sensor code. Could a bad battery temperature sensor be pulling my signal wire to ground and causing a crank no start on my truck?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40120 by Cheryl
Do you have communication with the scanner?? If the 5 volt ref is being pulled down usually you’ll get a no bus on the cluster. Also did you inspect the flex plate very close because I’ve seen them be different and cause a crank no start

More
3 years 11 months ago #40121 by Cheryl
If you had a scope you could get us a cam crank correlation to rule that out

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 11 months ago #40122 by Noah

Cheryl wrote: Also did you inspect the flex plate very close because I’ve seen them be different and cause a crank no start

I have seen that very same thing on more than one occasion.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 years 11 months ago #40125 by Jansa
I'm not getting a no bus. And unfortunately I do not have a scope nor have I used one before. I do not remember which flex plate I put on though the one from the 96 or the one that was already on the 97. The previous owner threw a rod through the oil pan and locked the engine up which is why we replaced the engine. I will definately look into that. Any other thoughts are more then welcome thanks.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40139 by Hardtopdr2
One way to see if to much clearance is take a piece of modeling clay and stick it on the end of crank sensor and seat it back in the opening and remove and measure the thickness of it. That should give you an answer

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds