Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Setting valve clearance

More
3 years 11 months ago #40105 by kamiwolf0893
Hi, I will be performing a valve lash adjustment on my engine soon. The workshop manual specifies a min and max clearance when cold. I'm a little confused what I should be setting this clearance to. I'd assume minimum would be too tight and max would be noisy? If someone could answer this for me i'd appreciate it. Many thanks, Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40106 by tech25
Replied by tech25 on topic Setting valve clearance
set it in the middle of the min and max specs.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40107 by kamiwolf0893
Thanks for the reply. Do the clearances need to match for every valve?

More
3 years 11 months ago #40108 by kamiwolf0893
I was just asking because I've 2 exhaust valves at 11 thou and the other 6 valves are at 12 thou.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40109 by Andy.MacFadyen
As long as it is within specs don't worry be happy

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 11 months ago #40114 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic Setting valve clearance
I’d always recommend to adjust them on the more tight of the tolerance side. If you set looser on the tolerance side then I’ve always assumed you’ll be doing the job again sooner than you want to. But there’s nothing to really backup that theory.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40116 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Setting valve clearance

John Curtis wrote: I’d always recommend to adjust them on the more tight of the tolerance side. If you set looser on the tolerance side then I’ve always assumed you’ll be doing the job again sooner than you want to. But there’s nothing to really backup that theory.

That's going to be engine dependent, and might also vary between intake and exhaust, because some valves wear tighter rather than looser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: juergen.scholl

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #40118 by juergen.scholl

Matt T wrote:

John Curtis wrote: I’d always recommend to adjust them on the more tight of the tolerance side. If you set looser on the tolerance side then I’ve always assumed you’ll be doing the job again sooner than you want to. But there’s nothing to really backup that theory.

That's going to be engine dependent, and might also vary between intake and exhaust, because some valves wear tighter rather than looser.

The reason I like to adjust on the tight side is simply to achieve best breathing/pumping.....

Though you then will have to check periodically the valve lash, especially when the exhaust valves get tighter over time.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by juergen.scholl.

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds