Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] Mercedes no wipers or wash

More
3 years 11 months ago #39955 by ezimoto
Hi guys
Have a customers W212 Mercedes E350 which has no screen wipers or wash.
Codes present for communication to wiper motor and rain sensor.
Wash can be operated from scan tool, no test available for wipers.
Wiper motor has three wires, one permanent live, one earth and I'm guessing one for signal which I have scoped but shows no activity in any wiper position.
Looked on Mercedes WIS but diagrams seem pretty unhelpful, I'm not very practiced at using the system so maybe I'm missing something.
I have Autodata which is no help for diagrams but I'm hoping maybe someone over the pond has different information from here in Britain??
Before I pull out the front SAM maybe someone more experienced with Mercedes might have a bright idea?
Stay safe.
Thanks in advance
Ezi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #39956 by tech25
Replied by tech25 on topic Mercedes no wipers or wash
please post exact year, and model.

post fault fault codes.

also, WIS wiring diagrams are poor at best. Mercedes is not user friendly with their info. so you are fine regarding your thoughts about that.

More
3 years 11 months ago #39979 by ezimoto
Replied by ezimoto on topic Mercedes no wipers or wash
Thanks for reply
Codes are U1153-00 and B221D-01.
Car is 2011 E350 CDI W212 Coupe.
Even a decent diagram would do, I know VW use same LIN for wiper motor, rain sensor etc but this is needle in haystack without some direction and not knowing if Merc is similar system.
With my sad efforts at looking on WIS I haven't found decent circuit diagram or even a SAM pinout. Can play hunt the colours but a guide would help!

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #39981 by Andy.MacFadyen
If there is no activity at all on the signal wire it suggests either the master module has an issue or the signal wire has a short to ground either in the wire or the master or client module. Never done it myself but step is going to be module unplugging and ressistance to ground checks,

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #39984 by tech25
Here is a simpler wiring diagram. You are correct, the wiper motor is controlled by a LIN bus from the front SAM module. the other wires is battery, and ground.

upon testing with a E350 here, the wiper motor, M6/1 ( FSW ) is a sub module to the front SAM. I am unable to activate the wiper motor from the front SAM itself via the scan tool ( xentry ), however, when I access the FSW module I can activate the wiper motor itself for testing. Fault code U115300 is - "communication with the windshield wiper has a malfunction"

suspect wiper motor/FSW,.... remember, the wipers may not work if the hood is open. take that into account if you are scoping the lin bus with the hood open.

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by tech25.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40014 by ezimoto
Thank you so much for the reply and diagrams (could I ask where they came from please?).
Could I ask how you access FSW directly as it appears to be wired through the SAM or does your diagnostic somehow go straight into the LIN 2 at which point it may be SAM problem or wiring to the SAM.
I don't do enough Mercedes to warrant the cost of Xentry so have Verus Pro and Autel MS908 to work with. With the virus nonsense I have to work on the car on site with no mains power so I'm down to using the Verus scope.
Also can you see if the rain sensor or anything else is on the LIN 2 as that could disrupt the signal?
Thank you so much again, your diagrams look nothing like anything I found on WIS.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40019 by tech25
Hello, the wiring diagrams are from Mitchell1, they make very good wiring diagrams in my opinion.

As far as the FSW module, I believe its done through the front SAM module. I attached some pictures, first is the layout of the module, you can see the SAM and under that are other "sub" modules.

second pic is the live data you can see, and its not much..

third is bi directional control, which is even fewer, all you can do is activate the wiper motor itself, ( you can activate the washer pump also, but that is done through the SAM directly )

fourth is various test you can do.

as far as the rain sensor, I dont see it connected in anyway to the wiper motor, there are just 3 wires coming off the motor, and those wires go to a a single connector on top of the front SAM, fuse/relay box. I suspect a faulty FSW motor, its more than must a wiper motor, it also is a control module also. But all in one unit.
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #40058 by ezimoto
Great information, thanks very much.
I've tried a wiper motor just to rule it out as they are cheap used but this does nothing and still no signal on the LIN. Think it's time to wrestle out the SAM and look for a signal at source which I will do during the week.
I contacted Mitchell but they are not interested in selling their product in Britain, guess they make enough money from the home market.
Thanks again for your help, will post how it goes.
Regards
Ezi

More
3 years 11 months ago #40060 by Landroverman1958
It looks like to me that the bonnet switch on the one side thinks the bonnet is open,so is disabling wiper operation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40083 by tech25
Landroverman... yes you are correct, however this is just a car I have in my shop I am using for reference to fix the OP question.

More
3 years 11 months ago #40461 by ezimoto
Thanks very much to you all for the assistance, thought the solution could be useful to someone in the future.
Lin2 wire had break somewhere, as it only serves the wiper motor I cut at SAM and wiper motor and ran new wire, problem sorted with the info you supplied. No doubt on WIS but beyond my tired old brain to find.
For anyone not in US, Mitchell have a single vehicle system where info can be obtained for £16 for a months use. A very small investment to get a time saving diagram.
Thanks again for everyone's help.
Stay safe.
Ezi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 11 months ago #40464 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Mercedes no wipers or wash
Thank you for updating your post. I'm glad that you found the solution to your problem.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds