Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Vauxhall astra, 1.8 16v missfiring

More
4 years 2 days ago - 4 years 2 days ago #39805 by Drewshield
Hi Boys, Got a 2001 astra in. Customer has fitted new coil pack, plugs and upstream o2 sensor. Has bad missfire , compression test ok, looking at data ignition advance is jumping every where from 19 - 1.5 on idle.
o2 before cat is 20mv,, o2 after cat 79mv. when hot

Any pointers please

Drew
Last edit: 4 years 2 days ago by Drewshield.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 days ago #39806 by Landroverman1958
There should be a bias voltage on the o2 sensors,koeo usually 454mv,use the finger on battery post to end of t pin back probed on the signal wire to check wiring integrity,on both sensors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drewshield

More
4 years 1 day ago #39831 by Drewshield
Hi, yes tried this, both sensors reacting form + and - terminals. on idle when hot upstream is on 20mv downstream is 98mv. misfiring, add propane both o2 jump up to 900mv engine runs smooth, remove propane and they go straight back down to where they were. looked for vac leaks, fuel pressure sticking at 55psi idle and WOT.
thinking clogged injectors ?

More
4 years 1 day ago #39836 by juergen.scholl
How does it behave at higher rpm/under load? Even worse or better? How does it run in OPEN loop? The customer installed O2's are the correct ones?

Some ideas: What is the MAF reading, what is the fuel VOLUME, possibly extreme alcohol content...

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
4 years 1 day ago #39838 by Drewshield
Hi, when driving feels smoother, both o2 dont move even at WOT, when you back off the upstream goes from 20mv down to 0mv for couple of seconds then back to 20mv.
ive tried unpluging maf and does nothing. it has a 12v, ground , iat, and signal with 5v when unplugged.
when its cold it idles very rough with popping from exhaust, untill o2 heaters kick in then sort of calms down. compression is all good.

I hate petrols by the way !!
Drew

More
4 years 1 day ago #39841 by juergen.scholl
I understand that it's worst at idle. What is the Maf value and the fuel trims at idle, 1500 and 2500 rpm?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
4 years 1 day ago #39842 by Drewshield
I will let you know tomorrow morning,
thank you for your help and patients , im learning !!!

Regards
Drew

More
4 years 21 hours ago - 4 years 21 hours ago #39861 by Drewshield
Good Morning Juergen, hope your well, hope this helps as its doing my head in lol.

I have had the MAF sensor out and cleaned it but was clean already

Engine speeds..........................Idle 777rpm ................1454 rpm................2499rpm
coolant temp................................70'c............................75'c...........................84 'c
Air flow (kg/h)................................9.................................15............................27
Air flow sensor(v)........................0.49..............................0.98........................1.45
o2 sensor before cat (mv)............20...............................20.............................20
o2 sensor after cat (mv)...............39...............................39.............................20
o2 sensor heater before cat.........on...............................on.............................on
o2 sensor heater after cat............on...............................on.............................on

Hope this makes some sence,

Regards
Drew
Last edit: 4 years 21 hours ago by Drewshield.

More
4 years 19 hours ago #39864 by Landroverman1958
Any after market induction pipes?Non standard Aiir filter?i have seen this fault when non standard items are fitted,what about a throttle body clean and relearn,reset adaptions,

More
4 years 18 hours ago #39866 by juergen.scholl
Hello again,

the MAF readings look o.k. so far and do not point to a vacuum leak( if you divide the kg/h you'll read g /sec which is more common). The according fuel trims are of interest in order to know if the ecm is trying to control the fuel delivery. I'd expect them to be maxed out, positive.

The data and information you provided so far suggest a fuel delivery issue, esp. if the trims really are maxed out. Is there a chance that the inyectors were changed/are different? Try to measure not only the fuel pressure but also the fuel volume.Do the plugs indicate lean burn, all of them?

One thing that does not quite fit is that fuel delivery problems are more notorious under loaad/higher rpm.

More
4 years 14 hours ago #39870 by Drewshield
Hi, its all origional intake, filters etc, throttle body clean, it idles very rough for about a minuet when cold then settles down slightly when starts to warm up , but add propane and idles smooth. its fuel or air ????

doing my head in properly. any pointers please

Drew

More
4 years 14 hours ago #39871 by Drewshield
hi, thank you for getting back, injectors are all origional from new , so 19yrs now. plugs are looking new, nothing on them still, been in for a month or so when customer fitted them.
Ive ordered a n injector tester to do a balance test, see if i can see any thing more?
Its doing my brain in, thank you for your help

Drew

More
4 years 13 hours ago #39873 by Drewshield
I have tried to reset the throttle body , but will not re set? I can operate it through special functions but won't re set?
Tried couple of times

More
4 years 13 hours ago #39875 by Drewshield
Hi, when i get delivery of my injector tester, what would be a good pressure drop on injector over a 10sec burst?
Or are these just a guide / balance test comparing to each injector ?

Sorry just looking for guidance on what to look at next.

Regards
Drew

More
4 years 12 hours ago - 4 years 11 hours ago #39876 by juergen.scholl
Do the fuel trims show that the ecm is trying to add fuel? There is a chance that there is no reset for the throttle body on those, just goes by the voltages...

Could you post a complete list of generic OBD2 data with the engine warmed up, please.

The fuel injector drop test is a relative comparison. The pressure should drop equally on each injector, a difference of more than 1 psi shows a problem.

Last edit: 4 years 11 hours ago by juergen.scholl.

More
4 years 5 minutes ago - 3 years 11 months ago #39884 by Drewshield
Good morning , some data you asked for , cheers.

engine speed.....................................0..................932.....................781.....................2413
fuel system..........................open loop...........open loop.........open loop fault......open loop fault
coolant temp'c..................................18...................27....................93.......................93
air flow (g/s)...................................0.......................4.6..................2.42.......................6.21
stft %..............................................0.......................0......................0.............................0
ltft %...............................................15.6..................15.6...............15.6.......................15.6
o2 v upstream................................0.085...............0.......................0...........................0
o2 v down stream..........................0.080...............0.080..............0............................0.005

lost now !!!!!!

regards
Drew
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Drewshield.

More
3 years 11 months ago #39886 by Drewshield
I allowed it to cool down and tried it again.

stft was fixed at 8.6 on all engine speeds and 15.6 ltft, closed loop at 70'c

when it warmed up to 80'c it went into open loop fault and stft dropped back to 0 and ltft stayed at 15.6

now has a p0170 code, caused by open loop fault ??

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #39913 by juergen.scholl
A kind of data review:

The O2's read lean. They recognize fuel enrichment by propane. Their wirings are o.k. Fuel pressure is at spec. Code for fuel trim issue. Maf readings look o.k.

You may want to look for an exhaust leak that is fooling the (upstream?) O2 sensor.
As the misfires will make the O2's read low as well: Do they still read lean when the engine is not misfiring?
Do you know why the owner changed the oxygen sensors and do you have the original ones?

Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by juergen.scholl.

More
3 years 11 months ago #39925 by Drewshield
Hi Juergen, thank you for getting back to me, it is much appreciated.

I have just spoke to owner and he says he changed the upstream o2 only,, about 2 months ago and didn't make any difference whatsoever, he didn't have any codes regarding the sensor he just thought he would change it to see if it made a difference.
He doesn't have the old one either.

He also mentioned he has fitted a new Maf sensor last month too.

I have noticed that this morning when I had another quick look at it the down stream it was on 15.6 and wouldn't move with propane ??
He has suggested replacing both O2 sensors and see if does anything.
What do you think?

I have had a look for manifold leaks and nothing.

Hope to hear from you and your thoughts

Regards
Drew

More
3 years 11 months ago #39957 by juergen.scholl
Do you have an ignition scope and/or a gas analyzer. Do repeat the O2 ssensor checks once morre, from bias voltage over circuit integrity to responsetivity, both sensors. Make sure they are not mixed up, front one connected to the back one`s harness and vice versa.

At this point I see no proof yet sugessting to change both sensors.Report your findings on the O2 sensors.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds