Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Is it the fuel pump or my fuel filter?

More
4 years 3 days ago #39796 by Jace
Im helping a friend with a fuel issue causing low power and some occasional misfire. I know a fuel pump and a fuel filter will fix my problem but I don’t want to replace a pump if it only needs a fuel filter. How can I distinguish between it being the pump or it being the filter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 3 days ago #39798 by Noah
If you suspect filter, change it.
They get old, it's not parts changing to replace a filter.
You can try to blow through it once you have it out, but really once it's out why put the same old one back in?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 3 days ago #39804 by Landroverman1958
Measure the amps draw to the pump,amps clamp or ammeter in series to pump see if it looks excessive,over 12amps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 2 days ago #39821 by Tyler
As suggested above, fuel pump current can be used to infer if the pump is working too hard to overcome a restriction.

But to be completely honest, I've NEVER seen a fuel filter cause any kind of perceptible engine performance issue. I've measured pressure before and after, current before and after, but the differences were marginal at best. :unsure: Never enough to cause a miss or low power complaint.

Like Noah said, change it if you're in doubt.

More
4 years 2 days ago #39834 by Matt T

Tyler wrote: But to be completely honest, I've NEVER seen a fuel filter cause any kind of perceptible engine performance issue.

I've seen it on a 2000ish S10 with a "seems a bit down on power" complaint. No codes and the truck seemed to run OK, but it showed up on a timed 0-60 run. New fuel filter and the 0-60 was back where it should be.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 1 day ago #39839 by Noah
I've seen absolutely plugged filters set lean codes and keep engines down on power, but I work on a lot of neglected cars.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds