Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Dodge Caliber 2007 torque converter

• rudolph.palm
  • rudolph.palm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dont Limit Your Challenges, Challenge your Limits!
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39566 by rudolph.palm
Hello,
Any body on this forum who knows the torque converter assembly internally? Working on a 2007 DODGE Caliber with a CVT transmission JF10/11E. Problem: No forward or backwards movements. Can feel the transmission engage in drive or reverse but it slips badly and no car movement possible. (no DTC codes) Checks the valve body and solenoids and tested OK. Fluid Level OK. I decided to pull down the transmission and open it to verify. (I have some experience in rebuilding automatic transmissions).. Nothing wrong has been observed. Good clutch packs and seals. Clean ATF no mayor metal residues in lower pan. Variator and chain looks in great shape, I did not disassemble the variator to verify, visual inspection only and it looks in good shape. After concluding that the CVT transmission might be OK, I went back and check the Torque converter. After drained all the Fluid out, holding it in horizontal position and shaking it sounds clearly like there is something broken inside and moving free when moving the torque converter assembly. I was pretty convinced that all my problem was a broken torque converter. I ordered a rebuild one. When it arrived, surprisingly the same "broken part" noise can be feel in it as well. It sounds exactly as the original torque converter, now I am confused, Its hard to believe if the one I ordered is also broken in the same way as the original.... I may be barking on the wrong door!!:silly: :silly: … Wanting to cut one open to see what the heck is moving free inside.... but at the other side I don't want to cut open a good torque converter. By now, I totally lost, If someone knows more or les about the issue I am having I will appreciate any advice. Nothing obviously wrong in the transmission it self, Torque converter seems to be OK /(or NOT). since I have two of them testing the same. Only possibility left ,may be something wrong with in the CVT Variator assembly, but I doubt about this.

Any suggestions very appreciated,

Thanks

Rud.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #39639 by tech25
recommend to check the various pressures at service points and make sure they are within spec.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rudolph.palm

• rudolph.palm
  • rudolph.palm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dont Limit Your Challenges, Challenge your Limits!
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #39641 by rudolph.palm
Hi tech25, thank you so much for your reply I have printed the specs you sent me for reference. Your suggestions was actually my next step since I decided to cut open the suspected bad torque converter to eliminate my doubts. Well, I have to tell that I did not find anything wrong in it. The one way stator clutch is ok, the large lockup clutch is ok, all friction material still in specs. The rattle noise which could be heard when shaking the converter is totally normal for this setup. The shock dampers springs on the lockup clutch assembly consists of several large springs ( 8 pcs. along the outer edge in circle) with smaller (in length and diameter) freely moving inside the large ones. Seems like a kind of tension reinforcements for the main(larger)springs... So I am assuming the torque converter is ok. What I did not stated before, this car was running fine till the day that the driver decided to help a friend by towing his van for a very long distance including climbing a large bridge, soon after descending the bridge no engine torque was present anymore. Engine keeps revving like if the transmission. was in neutral while it is in drive. Neither reverse torque was present. But You can clearly feel the transmission changing from neutral to drive/rev. Now I have this car in my shop and I already told you before what I did until now. Seeing that no obvious problem was observed in the transmission nor the converter. I am suspecting a lack a of fluid pressure as the main problem. I heard some comments that this transmissions have issues with the ATF pump. would you confirm this?? Its a small pump(chain driven) located inside the transmission. The chain and sprockets are ok. Unfortunately I did not remove and disassemble this pump to verify, I guessed its might be OK since no wear and tears or broken materials was observed in the pump area or in the fluid reservoir. So, now I have situation. I still have the Transmission on my bench. I believe I will reopen it to verify the pump before installing it and measure the fluid pressure at the service points as you suggested. Maybe I will order a new pump which appeared to be quite in expensive. Thanks again, and any further suggestions are always welcome.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds