Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 montero.....cranks but no start

More
4 years 1 month ago #39291 by angelcoamo44
1996 Mitsubishi montero 3.0L LS 12 valves.........Can someone help me in how to test the fuel pump relay through the ecu..??...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #39297 by jreardon
Check if the pump has continuity to ground. Have test light connected to power and touch the Fuel Pump Check Connector (right side of safety wall). This light must light for this test.

If the light doesn't light then you won't hear the pump run, but you should hear the relay click (with the tests below).

There are 4 ways, but I think method 3 or 4 is best if you can't easily disable the starter.

1.) Key in start or run position (may want to disable starter for this. manual transmission has a starter relay to pull out) and make sure #8 pin at ECU gets power with key in start position (confirms ignition switch has power), then ground the #8 pin on ECU, relay should click and pump should run

2.) ground pin #8 at ECU and put power on pin #82 (if the wire for pin #82 is really thin, then DON"T do this test, this wire is not meant to handle pump current)

3.) or ground pin #8 at ECU and put power into one of the two side of multi-purpose fuse 11 (junction block left side of I/P)

4.) or ground pin #8 at ECU and put power into #2 pin at the ignition coil (coil can be disconnected)

Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by jreardon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: angelcoamo44

More
4 years 1 month ago #39307 by angelcoamo44
Thanks a lot .......very helpful

More
4 years 1 month ago #39308 by angelcoamo44
HI again......I forgot to ask something......Few months ago i checked the fuel pump through the fuel pump check connector.....and i did not remember if i did the test with the start switch off........If i did the test with the switch in the on position...did i damaged the ecu...??

More
4 years 1 month ago #39312 by juergen.scholl

angelcoamo44 wrote: HI again.......If i did the test with the switch in the on position...did i damaged the ecu...??

No, you did not..... If you put a voltage feed to the test connector with the switch on then nothing happened. If you grounded the test connector with the switch on you only would have blown the fuse link #6 (and this only if you grounded the connector within the prime time of maybe 3 secons after opening the switch) but not the ecu.

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon, angelcoamo44

More
4 years 1 month ago #39315 by jreardon
Yeah I don't see how you could damage the ECU from what you say you did.

Check for signs of ECU life, is 5V present (pin #81)? Do pins #8 and #38 switch to ground when you cycle the key? How's power on pin #12 and #25 with the key on? Did you check the basics like fuses? Can you communicate with the ECU?

More
4 years 1 month ago #39317 by angelcoamo44
i checked all the fuses and all of them are good....i can not communicate with the ecu because there is no check engine light lid on the dashboard.....i do not know how to check the pins at the ecu because i do not have a diagram showing the pin numbers and their location at the ecu.....and also i do not know what "switch to ground" means.....is the ecu has to be connected to its harness when i do all these tests?......i am a newbie to this troubleshooting , that the reason that i ask so many questions.....thanks a lot for your help

More
4 years 1 month ago #39318 by angelcoamo44
thanks a lot....

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 1 month ago #39343 by Noah
Switch to ground is just what it sounds like.
The circuit in question would have power on it at rest and then would literally switch to ground voltage 0v, when activated.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon

More
4 years 1 month ago #39358 by abe1204
You need to Check voltage with ignition on Ground, and test control wire while cranking the engine by a test lght or voltmeter if you check that and it all ok then next the output wire going to fuelpump and

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds