Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2008 Ford Mustang 4.0 no start

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39012 by Dave101
Hey guys- need a little help here

I have a 08 ford mustang no start situation. Has already been to another shop. Got the P1000 code (no help of course). Have spark and fuel. Have good crk sensor, injector pulse. What I don't have is a good cam signal. Checked voltage at sensor and have 25mv not the 10 vdc that I should have as a bias. Checked at the PCM and not getting anything from PCM. Verified I don't have a wiring issue by disconnecting PCM and Sensor and load testing. Reconnected and installed a motorcraft cam sensor in and checked air gap and reluctor wheel. Still nothing. I do get a cam signal but it is week. I'll post it so you can see. Only peaks at .6vdc. I did a compression test of the motor and only get 75psi on all cylinders. I added oil to one cylinder thinking cylinder wash but it only came up to 80 psi. My first thought the timing is off. But that doesn't explain the weak cam signal. I am still trying to understand why have no bias voltage. Could the PCM be damaged internally not allowing bias voltage to be produced but at the same time not seeing the cam signal that is being produced? Or am I grasping at straws?
Pictures down bellow are the crank/cam and #1 injector.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39013 by Cheryl
Does this year offer cam/crank synchronization pid in scan data? I know newer fords do. If it’s getting fuel and spark I’d say it should run. Is the fuel contaminated?? Try running off of alternative fuel with the pump disabled. Wonder about coolant temp sensor readings and exhaust back pressure.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39014 by Cheryl
What’s engine rpm reading while cranking

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39015 by autojoe
How about doing a bypass test with test light during cranking to see if a response. If so check pcm connector. If good then pcm power and grounds before condemning the pcm.

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39016 by Dave101
no rpm reading

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39017 by Dave101
all of those test have been done. No exhaust back pressure, alternative fuel has been tried as well. No luck

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39018 by jreardon
May I ask where you're getting 10V bias on the cam signal from?

Can you post picture of cam and crank notch in one screen on your scope?

More
4 years 4 weeks ago #39019 by Dave101
These are VR sensors. The cam is supposed to be supplied a 12 vdc bias voltage from the pcm.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #39043 by jreardon

Dave101 wrote: I do get a cam signal but it is week. I'll post it so you can see. Only peaks at .6vdc.

From ScannerDanner's "2007 FORD EXPLORER NO START, 29 VOLT FEED (PART 3) IGNITION SYSTEM OPERATION AND TESTING"
www.scannerdanner.com/scannerdanner-prem...ion-and-testing.html

Scope setup on cam was to cam+ and battery negative. It's also has peak to peak voltage of .6. Notice there's no bias voltage on the cam (ac couple was off). Is the hump count roughly the same on yours?

The crank signal and cam signal has to be good because you have spark and injector pulse. I don't know why you're not getting an rpm signal. Looking at the flow chart there's this:

Relative compression test with sync off a coil firing event - Is spark command happening at the top of a compression hump? Was your throttle plate fully opened when you took cylinder compression test? Maybe bad compression gauge? Try removing schraeder valve from it. Is the cranking speed labored? Are you using a in line spark tester? How's cranking vacuum? If the compression is really that low, where's the pressure going? Check crank case pressure at the dip stick?
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by jreardon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave101

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39044 by jreardon
Check power and grounds to coils, make sure you're not getting any voltage drop on power feed. Thinking weak spark, leads to no spark in compression stroke, leads to soaked plugs, leads to cylinder wash, leads to no start.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39054 by Tyler
I'm with jreardon - the compression loss is worrying. :unsure: And this wouldn't be the first 4.0L to jump time.

Vacuum gauge or in-cylinder would be my next suggestion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Dave101

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39062 by Dave101
So you guys think not having the 10vdc bias voltage at the cam sensor is leading me down the wrong path? I was ready to call a PCM on this vehicle because of that. Not sure as I would like to be when I call a PCM though

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39066 by Tutti57
I would think you'd need more compression to run. I have the number 100psi in my head from somewhere as a minimum. I'm with the others who mentioned checking into that more.

Nissan Technician

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39067 by Tyler

Dave101 wrote: So you guys think not having the 10vdc bias voltage at the cam sensor is leading me down the wrong path? I was ready to call a PCM on this vehicle because of that. Not sure as I would like to be when I call a PCM though

Yeah, I think the cam sensor thing is a red herring. A problem, but not THE problem.

Can you post the .VSM file from your cam/crank capture?

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39069 by Dave101

Tyler wrote:

Dave101 wrote: So you guys think not having the 10vdc bias voltage at the cam sensor is leading me down the wrong path? I was ready to call a PCM on this vehicle because of that. Not sure as I would like to be when I call a PCM though

Yeah, I think the cam sensor thing is a red herring. A problem, but not THE problem.

Can you post the .VSM file from your cam/crank capture?

I'm going back in the morning and run a better cam/crank capture. I'll post that tomorrow. I'm also going to check the vacuum cranking pressure and more compression testing. This thing is driving me nuts.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39077 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2008 Ford Mustang 4.0 no start
I'm on the compression band wagon.
Hate to say it, but I think she's doomed...

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #39093 by Dave101
I went back to it today and did the cam/crank capture. Looks to me like it may have jumped time. I will post a pic of a known good.i also did a relative compression test with ignition event on #1 cylinder. Sorry for the messy capture. I had trouble setting up the scope. Also checked the cranking vacuum. it jumped up and down 2-3 inches of vacuum. I'll go back tomorrow and do another one with the rpm hooked up. Also will do another compression test with oil. Couldn't today because of week battery. Thought??????
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Tyler.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #39098 by jreardon
Looks like it jumped - 5 teeth advanced.

@30 mins in, similar waveform :

why timing chains jump in general @01:49:06:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by jreardon.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39104 by Tyler
I see the camshaft as 5-6 crank reluctor teeth retarded. :(

Someone double check my count, but I believe this crank reluctor has 36 teeth (missing two for the sync notch). That works out to 10 crank degrees per tooth, and thus the cam is 50 degrees retarded.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #39105 by jreardon
Yup 50 degrees is what i have too. retarded, advance lol i don't know, it's jumped :)

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds