Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0336

More
3 years 11 months ago #38883 by autojoe
P0336 was created by autojoe
2002 impala 3.4. Alldata shows one part 3x and 18x and another part shows 7x and 24x crank sensors. Say dual crank sensors 4 wire behind harmonic balancer. Also another crank sensor left rear on block. Why need 3 crank sensors? If code p0336 for one behind harmonic balancer what code or one in block left rear of engine. Engine runs good. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #38886 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0336

autojoe wrote: Why need 3 crank sensors?

Because GM! :silly:

It's been awhile since I went to war with one of these. The way I remember it, the 7X signal is an variable reluctance sensor, the one in the block. Reports directly to the ICM.

24X is a Hall effect sensor at the balancer. 24 pulses. Also reports to the ICM.

3X is a synthetic signal generated by the ICM and sent to the PCM based largely off the 7X... I think? Like I said, it's been awhile. :blush:

As far as I know, the 3.4L doesn't have the dual sensor setup at the balancer. That's the 3.8L. 7X is for spark control, 24X is for idle stability. I can't say which sensor corresponds with your P0336. BUT, because the engine runs well, I'd suspect the 24X first.

This SD video may also be of value. Different fault code, but the ignition system is the same.

The following user(s) said Thank You: autojoe

More
3 years 11 months ago #38893 by autojoe
Replied by autojoe on topic P0336
Thanks Tyler. Didn't get a chance to look at wiring. Alldata had conflicting information for the information. Even my Mitchell on demand showed same thing. Showed dual crank sensor 4 wire in description and said one place 3x and 18x and another place 7x and 24x crank sensors. Very confusing. I seen that video awhile back. Thank you for all your help and good information. I am familiar with the 3.8.thanks Tyler. Appreciate it. Seen damaged harnesses wiring before behind power steering pump. Thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds