Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Loose timing chain?

More
7 years 3 months ago #5234 by Donnyten
Loose timing chain? was created by Donnyten
I don't have any experience with timing chains. Decided to inspect the one in my car which is a GM 3.1. Is there supposed to be any looseness whatsoever?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5239 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Loose timing chain?
How many miles on this engine, sir?

I'm not sure what the spec is for chain slack, but it's probably not much. Realistically, though, I find that every chain with mileage on it has some slack. With no active tensioner on your setup, there's going to be some play on the slack side of the chain.

If you can afford to replace the chain and gears while you have the cover off, then I see no reason not to have the peace of mind.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #5262 by Donnyten
Replied by Donnyten on topic Loose timing chain?
Got about 240,000 miles on it. . Just wanted a ballpark before and after looseness.

To avoid making another topic do you know if these electronic general motor EGR valves can be serviced? Like is there a way to open it up and clean the carbon out?

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Donnyten.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5269 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Loose timing chain?

Donnyten wrote: Got about 240,000 miles on it. . Just wanted a ballpark before and after looseness.

With that mileage, I think you could justify a timing set, assuming that you mean to keep this vehicle for the long term.

To avoid making another topic do you know if these electronic general motor EGR valves can be serviced? Like is there a way to open it up and clean the carbon out?

Not that I'm aware of. You can clean the pintle and seat on some of the GM EGR valves, but I think yours looks something like this, right?

On these valves, it's tough to even get to the pintle for cleaning. :( How are the intake passages? That's something worth cleaning while you have it off the engine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donnyten

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #5303 by Donnyten
Replied by Donnyten on topic Loose timing chain?
Yep. Definitely cleaned the intake passages and whatever I could. These things can't be serviced at all.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Donnyten.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5446 by egnblack
Replied by egnblack on topic Loose timing chain?
I always went with anything more than 4 degrees of slack, I would replace the gears and chain.

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds