Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2010 Buick lacrosse CXL

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38666 by ec2788
Hello family looking for help. I am diagnosing a 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXL 3.6L for a coworker who has a P0008 trouble code. The car starts runs but appears to be in a default strategy. Live data on my Autel is showing zero for both cam desired and current state. I checked powers and grounds on intake bank 1 cam shaft position sensor both are good. Showing a good 5V reference pulled down to ground, and saw a good waveform on the signal wire. I only had about 15 to 30 minutes to do a quick diagnosis but I believe he has a timing issue. I need a known good waveform (cam crank) to confirm before I have him spend money at a shop to check timing. I will get the car back Monday to check the crank sensor. Am I missing anything?

Paul Danner if you happen to read this thank you! You have save me a ton of money by teaching me to diagnose and repair my own cars keep up the good work!

Eric C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38679 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 2010 Buick lacrosse CXL
P0008 is the only code that resets? Is that the only code it came in with?

Pretty sure P0008 is what's called a 'Bank to Crank' code, indicating that BOTH cams on bank one are off compared to the crank. This pretty well rules out things like stuck actuators, failed solenoids and the like. IMO, a cam/crank waveform would be fun to check, but not necessary. This engine needs chains.

The codes are important because if there were also codes for bank two, there exists the possibility of a shifted crankshaft reluctor. There are TSBs from GM describing this condition, and how to inspect for it.

I believe the reason your scan data shows zero for desired is because the PCM will default to no camshaft adjustment with a current cam timing code. The trick is to clear the codes KOEO, have the CMP Actuator data list pulled up and start the engine. The camshaft angle PIDs should tell the truth briefly before the code sets again.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #38681 by ec2788
Replied by ec2788 on topic 2010 Buick lacrosse CXL
Tyler you are absolutely correct, I finally had a chance to look up the TSB’s and saw exactly what you’re talking about. The car only has a code for bank one so I will let my co-worker know and I will try out that tip you gave me. Thank you sir I really appreciate it! If he decide to get it fixed I will post an update.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds