× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0171 on BMW X1 2013 20i

• tiagoaviz
  • Topic Author
More
23 Mar 2020 21:19 #38576 by tiagoaviz
P0171 on BMW X1 2013 20i was created by tiagoaviz
Hello guys,

I'm a new member and I'd like to first thank ScannerDanner for making available on Youtube such high-level videos explaining concepts that I thought that were our of reach for me to understand.

I'm not a mechanic, for starters :) So please go easy on me.

I bought my first BMW, an X1 20i - 2013 model. It has the BMW N20 engine with 184bhp.

I used this car happily for about two weeks when I first sent it off to my local shop to see how things were. This car had some usual things to do, such as oil, filters, belts, spark plugs, brake fluid, coils, all of which I asked to be replaced.

When I received the car, it wasn't giving me any alerts, but I could smell a very strong smell of rotten eggs when I first started it in the morning. I kept using it for a few days as I was on a busy schedule. The mileage had worsened, too.

I was on the highway some days later, when I got an alert saying that I lost power on main propulsor. Idle was very erratic, so I drove to the neareast gas station and stopped. The car wouldn't turn on anymore.

I was able to restart it with much effort so I could put it over the tow truck. Every time it started, white smoke everywhere. The guy on the truck said it was certain that I had bad gas on the car.

Well, I got the car towed to the shop, where after two days they had to exchange the fuel injectors which were damaged. I got the car back from the shop with the ignition alert which never came up.

This is when I bought my OBDII dongle so I could take a look at things myself.

I drove the car a few more days with the alert on, since they said it should go away on its own. From what I was researching, it could be a vacuum leak, and I returned the car so they could check it. They said they found one, and corrected it. The car still had the alert.

The next morning, I got again the erratic idle and the car was almost failing when I was able to get it to the shop again, where it was left for a whole week.

Tested fuel pumps, which were said to be operating with the correct pressure.

They drained the gas from my car and found out that there were about 6 liters of water on my gas tank. I freaked out at them because I had ordered them to drain all gas when the injectors went bad.

I got the car back and wasn't charged, saying that all my problems were the bad gas that was still there. Well, the car came with P0171 still.

The idle is very smooth now and the car doesn't have any symptoms of a lean mixture car.

Went for a drive yesterday and it feels very powerful. After flooring it to measure the engine on my OBD2, my garage had a very strong smell of burnt gas.

I pardon that I may not have the best tools to do the measuring, but I hope they can help you guys shed some light on my problem. I really don't know what can be wrong and as many will guess, the shop wants to solve this by swapping parts (trial and error).

Me paying, of course.

I'm attaching:

- freeze frame screenshots
- some videos of the car running on idle at the garage with various RPMs.
- Data that I collected when I went out on a drive with the car. I have more data here, if anything else is needed I can provide it.

I'm from Brazil so you will hear me saying things, which are idle, 1500 and 3000rpm. You can hear the engine when I go at 3000. I always started the videos at idle and went upwards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tiagoaviz
  • Topic Author
More
23 Mar 2020 21:28 - 23 Mar 2020 21:33 #38577 by tiagoaviz
Replied by tiagoaviz on topic P0171 on BMW X1 2013 20i
Links for the videos:

Fuel Rail pressure at different RPMs:
drive.google.com/open?id=1xG1o24faEg9Js-foNLP1SVQmWmvWQcFI

MAF and fuel rail press at different RPMs:
drive.google.com/open?id=15OJcE69pfsyOjx2om7b7U0fpCjrztFg1

O2 and wideband sensors at different RPMs:
drive.google.com/open?id=12Q_BUisma_145k3IqHNzzdevpay0Js9N

STFT and LTFT at different RPMs:
drive.google.com/open?id=192t_HkORqfAm1_c55XZ-OF5Igc0eJHbO
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Mar 2020 21:33 by tiagoaviz.

More
24 Mar 2020 09:44 - 24 Mar 2020 09:45 #38589 by tech25
Replied by tech25 on topic P0171 on BMW X1 2013 20i
make sure the vacuum hose on the muffler is attached and not disconnected, I have seen that cause this fault before.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2020 09:45 by tech25.

• tiagoaviz
  • Topic Author
More
26 Mar 2020 16:17 - 26 Mar 2020 16:18 #38676 by tiagoaviz
Hello Tech25,

Thanks for your answer. It really makes a lot of sense since the exhaust actuator is not working on my car. And, I can smell exhaust on the car interior as well.

I'll investigate when I find a shop after the quarantine madness is over here in my city.

Is it possible to plug this vaccum in the engine compartment so I can find out if this is really the issue?
Last edit: 26 Mar 2020 16:18 by tiagoaviz.

More
27 Mar 2020 08:00 #38694 by tech25
Replied by tech25 on topic P0171 on BMW X1 2013 20i
The exhaust valve/hose is easy for you to check now yourself, just go by your tail pipe. There should be a actuator flap/valve there with a hose attached. Confirm it is actually attached.
Attachments:

• tiagoaviz
  • Topic Author
More
27 Mar 2020 12:21 - 27 Mar 2020 12:23 #38704 by tiagoaviz
Hi Tech25,

Thanks for the reply.

I was able to find it and it's correctly plugged in.

I've also checked the flap actuator, which is also correctly connected.

I found where the vacuum hose of the exhaust goes in the engine compartment, and I plugged it. It made no difference to LTFT and STFT.

When I removed the engine cover, first I went to disconnect both vacuum hoses that connect to the vacuum reservoir.

It made no noise of vaccuum escaping when I removed the hoses.

I re-scanned the car and found a hidden event, P2BC0 that was registered as well.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Mar 2020 12:23 by tiagoaviz. Reason: add attachments

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds