Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Cummins fuel issue

More
4 years 2 months ago #38106 by Chuck69
Cummins fuel issue was created by Chuck69
I have a 1999 Ram 3500 with 24v Cummins. I installed a new external lift pump not long ago, and now no fuel. I started the truck to go fuel up. As is was a cold-ish morning, i revved up a bit, and it died. I have a fuel gauge in the cab, and it did not register when I turned the key to start again.
I disconnected the connector at the pump, with KO I have 10v m/l, and a good ground. Using a power probe, the pump would come on, but no fuel pressure. Re-connected the harness, pump did not come on.
I saw something about a rollover valve at the tank, possibly vacuum in tank. Is there anything else to check? I can't find anything helpful on the web, all they do is plug in new parts. I am pretty sure it's the pump, I went cheap this time, but I want to be sure before I go through all of that again.

Thanks in advance for ant help.
Chuck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #38107 by John Curtis
Replied by John Curtis on topic Cummins fuel issue
Load test the circuit with a comparable load (fuel pump probably around 9 amps). Power Probe is okay for providing power and ground. It’s terrible as a measuring tool and for checking grounds and ability to carry load. Ive has power probe tell me I had a good ground and yet couldn’t even light a test light.

10V is really low. Especially not during crank. What is battery voltage?

You can use a headlight or 2 (depending on what amperage the bulb you’re using draws) on power and ground wire at the fuel pump with the pump unplugged and see if it lights.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 2 months ago #38108 by Chuck69
Replied by Chuck69 on topic Cummins fuel issue
Battery at 12.7v. Thanks for the info, I will try that.

Yeah, I talk to myself all of the time, co- workers think I'm crazy.

More
4 years 2 months ago #38208 by Chuck69
Replied by Chuck69 on topic Cummins fuel issue
The problem turned out to be the pump. Blast it, I'm tired of changing those things.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds