Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

AC System Repair for 2002 Ford Focus Zetec 2.0L SE Wagon

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #38043 by dazs
2002 Ford Focus Zetec 2.0L SE Wagon

AC System was not been used for 2 years
What I assumed happened was the AC Compressor was bad because the clutch stop working. I replaced the AC Compressor 2 years ago and run fine untill it stopped.

What I did:

-Got a Ford AC compressor from the junkyard tested it with a 12V Battery and Multimeter (result) Clutch engaged and has 4.3 ohms
-New accumulator/drier
-used ac hose assembly
-I did a AC Flush

After everything installed with 7 oz PAG 46 oil to the AC Compressor time to recharge

1 hour evacuate the system with Vac pump and system has "No" leak
26 oz of 134a refrigerant

What happened:

Car is running AC "ON" FAN Full @4

Using my AC Manifold Gauge set the Low side and High side both started as "0" PSI
Applying refrigerant at the "Low side"
Low side gauge goes to 60 PSI
Hight side still "0"

The clutch never engaged even after the second can of refrigerant.

after applying refrigerant the Low side gauge that was 60 PSI went down to "0" again.

I lost all refrigerant in less than 10 seconds.

My Observation:

The Accumulator/drier is Ice Cold

I tried to evacuate the refrigerant using the gauge set "No Refrigerant"

and I assumed the system has no leak because evacuating the system maintained a 30 inhg vac @Low side guage for 1 hour

Hey guys...What could be the problem?

How did the Refrigerant escape from the system

FYI :
The new AC Manifold Gauge Set was used 1 time only 2 years ago and the recharge was successful without problems.
This is 2nd time using this gauge set.
also I try to make sure that I follow the proper steps using the gauge set in regards to opening the knobs in the ports...
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by dazs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #38202 by dazs
UPDATE!

The AC issue is resolved!

Symptoms leads to...
1. Possible accumulator/drier clogged or diffective which maybe preventing the refrigerant to go through.
2. Possible AC Low pressure switch not working

What I did

Did a test to see if the AC compressor would engaged by "overriding the low pressure switch"
-Remove the switch and from the connector harness put a paper clip across the 2 contact point.
-This will override the use of the switch and will activate the AC clutch when you turn on the AC from the inside of the car.
-Clearly the AC compressor works
so a new AC pressure switch maybe the solution

Regarding losing my refrigerant or it just disappeared after recharging.

My solution

I got a new accumulator from a different auto parts store

Result:

New AC switch and accumulator/drier did the trick!
Now I got a cold AC

Thanks for reading!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds