Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

98 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Odd TPS glitch

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #37863 by austin75
I recently purchased a new scan tool from Launch. I've been using the datastream feature on my 3 vehicles to help get a baseline for what normal and not -so-normal readings look like...

I performed a TPS sweep on my dodge using the Dodge specific datastream. Everything looked good. I then decided to perform the same sweep using the Global OBD2 generic data. I had a glitch right after 23%. The glitch dropped the percentage down to about 6% momentarily and picked back up from 24% and continued as normal. This was a very repeatable glitch. I was able to drive the vehicle and hold the accelerater in the glitched position. Oddly, there were no noticable performance issues. However, my transmission has a had a history of oddly timed shifts. But, the shifts didn't seem to be affected by the glitch.

I recalled that Mr. Danner spoke about substitute values and that my vehicles PCM may have replaced that glitch with a reasonable number (basically the PCM may have lied). However, the Global TPS sweep did not lie and revealed the glitch.

I took a sensor ground measurement from battery negative and read approx 14mV. My referance voltage was somewhere between 4.7 and 5 volts. My signal wire seemed to give a gradual increase from about .77 to 4 volts with a volt meter. I unplugged the connecter and voltage read 5 volts on my meter and scanner.

I went to town and purchased a new TPS sensor and installed it. However, the glitch is still there in the exact same place. The only difference I see using the new sensor is that the closed throttle position is now 14.5%, whereas my old TPS read 13.3%.

I hope this is enough information. The truck is running and driving fine, but I'm am stumped as to why this TPS glitch is there. It almost seems to have been programmed into the PCM. What am I missing? I'm glad this wasn't a customers vehicle.

The screen shot on the left was made using the Dodge data stream. Ignore the first hump. The second hump was the actual sweep. The screenshot on the righ was using Global. You can see where it dropped to about 6% while pressing the throttle and letting off of the throttle. Both the new and old TPS sensors do this.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by austin75.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37887 by austin75
False alarm. I believe it is a scan tool issue, not a vehicle issue. I took the truck to work with me this morning and compared a TPS sweep with the Snap-On scanner at the shop. The glitch was not present. Also, I noticed several glitches on the ECT and IAT. The Launch scanner that I used showed -80F on the ECT and IAT. This was totally innacurate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds