Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

99 jeep xj intermittent airbaglight/ drbiii equivalent?

More
2 years 2 months ago #54303 by 99BlackPearXJ
the resistors have arrived!

I assume i just plug these into the female end of each airbag outlet? If no light then I know its an airbag. Then I would plug the airbags in one at a time and replace the negative on the battery then check?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54313 by hakachukai
In a nut shell, yes.

1. Disconnect the Neg terminal of the battery for 10 mins
2. Unplug your air bags
3. Insert the 2 ohm resistors in the wiring harness where the air bags used to be
4. Trouble shoot

More
2 years 2 months ago #54676 by 99BlackPearXJ
Thus far I was able to put the resistors in. This resulted in no Airbag light. Then I put only the drivers Airbag back in, still no light. I'll try the passenger bag in/ drivers out and see if anything changes.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #54720 by 99BlackPearXJ
I reconnected the passenger airbag and went for a ride, the dang light is back just like always!!!

Ide say it's safe to say the airbag is bad correct?
Can an airbag itself be tested or refurbished is that even a thing?
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by 99BlackPearXJ.

More
2 years 2 months ago #54784 by 99BlackPearXJ
Am I off track assuming the passenger airbag is bad?
Ive tried to google a replacement airbag and all I see is Ebay used items.
Are airbags not sold to the public?

Thank you for all your guys help, this seems like its almost fixed.

More
1 year 11 months ago #56523 by hakachukai
Sorry for the SUPER late reply!

This indicates a bad passenger air bag.
DEFINITELY do NOT try to test the air bag. Even some multimeters can set them off.

Replace it.

It probably is just old and has some bad internal connections. Not worth the risk of trying to fix it seeing how it is literally a bomb.

More
1 year 8 months ago #58026 by 99BlackPearXJ
so this has been a hovering problem for my jeep for quite some time.
I tried a 2ohm resistor in place of the passenger airbag and that prevented the code from appearing. Now I have finally found an airbag from the junk yard and I installed this today.
The dang airbag light is still appearing!!!!!! would one now assume this has to be a grounding issue?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #58028 by Noah
If the resistor was sufficient to kill the light, I would be more inclined to suspect either a connection issue at the air bag connector, or just another faulty used air bag.
If there are any little plastic retainers or clips that are part of the air bag connector, make sure they are installed. I've seen guys drop them, or lose them and end up with air bag codes that were not there before, or the same old code they were trying to fix.

Here's one example of what I'm talking about. If someone were to lose that secondary orange clip on the back of the connector, they could end up pretty deep in the rabbit hole chasing a problem they made.
I'm not picking on you, more reminiscing about my last shop ;)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Noah.

More
1 year 8 months ago #58031 by 99BlackPearXJ
I will certainly check the plug over and the pins on the wiring harness female end. My particular connectors have a usual clip that grabs once they are pushed together and then a slide lock, which is very well in place. Can an airbag be tested by itself if I was to take it to a shop?

More
1 year 6 months ago #58795 by 99BlackPearXJ

If the resistor was sufficient to kill the light, I would be more inclined to suspect either a connection issue at the air bag connector, or just another faulty used air bag.
If there are any little plastic retainers or clips that are part of the air bag connector, make sure they are installed. I've seen guys drop them, or lose them and end up with air bag codes that were not there before, or the same old code they were trying to fix.

Here's one example of what I'm talking about. If someone were to lose that secondary orange clip on the back of the connector, they could end up pretty deep in the rabbit hole chasing a problem they made.
I'm not picking on you, more reminiscing about my last shop ;)

My connections are all well made, pins look clean no corrosions. The female ends are still sprung down to the male ends. I know you mentioned the Airbag could still be faulty, but in this instance would it be worth suspecting the airbag control module is at fault?

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds