Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

fuel pressure too much

More
4 years 2 months ago #37807 by Midca
fuel pressure too much was created by Midca
Hello , I have a 2004 F150 with 5.4 (3 ) valve. I joined this site to hopefully learn how to troubleshoot and repair somethings and not be totally dumb to some of the less than honest mechanical shops since i travel alot for my job makes it hard to find a good reliable and honest mechanic. with that being said after throwing a bunch of money and Time at this truck but only after I had a local shop charge me $2,300.00 at what I thought was a fuel pump , this is the list of what they said they replaced on it Fuel Pump,Fuel Pump Driver Mod. Fuel Injectors, New PCM .New Plugs , I had to call a Tow Truck to get the truck back its Pushing (91 psi } out and they said they cant get it down .So instead of thrown my money away I decided to try to fix it on my own And learn something in the process the wiring harness that the truck had on it was in bad shape so i recently purchased a new one and hopes of it correcting the problem i just wondering where some of you might start to trouble an issue like this I appreciate any help . J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #37809 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic fuel pressure too much
Now that's a new one! :silly: Never seen that one before.

Can you give us an idea of what test equipment you have available to you? Test light, multimeter, scan tool, fuel pressure gauge? What you have available will help us decide what testing to suggest.

It's also important for us to know what testing you've done yourself. I don't mean what the shop did - I mean what YOU'VE done. It's important to start on your own diagnostic path, not just pick up where the shop left off. ;)

If you haven't already familiarized yourself with this fuel system, I snipped this bit from the OBD Theory and Operation. I've highlighted (what I believe to be) the important part:

File Attachment:

File Name: fpdmtheory.pdf
File Size:20 KB

Does your truck have a P1235 stored? Because a fuel pump duty cycle of 100% would definitely account for your 91 PSI fuel pressure.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Tyler.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37830 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic fuel pressure too much
the ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor has a great deal to do with the proper operation of the fuel system in the Ford electronic return-less fuel system. if the engine does not reach 205 coolant temp, the PCM sees this as a cold engine and commands the fuel pump to stay on. If your having wiring problems this will affect the voltage outputs of various sensors. If it is interfering with the ECT sensor the proper voltage will not be reported to the PCM. at 205 degrees, voltage output should be about .55v. cold engine depends on ambient air temp but should be around 3v.

I really dislike parts changing mechanics...

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds