Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

ECU

• rudolph.palm
  • rudolph.palm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dont Limit Your Challenges, Challenge your Limits!
More
4 years 3 months ago #37532 by rudolph.palm
ECU was created by rudolph.palm
Hello, I am writing you guys this time seeking advise for the following topic. Whenever it comes to replacing and programming ECU I will have some questions. I have replaced several ECU (USED) in many cars without having to reprogram it at all, just "plug and play". Now I have a Mitsubishi lancer which has to replace the ECU, but I can not find a used ECU anywhere! Only a brand new ECU is available for this car. My question would be, if the brand new ECU will work on this car without reprogramming. My own guess is NO!! since its new, I believe it has never been programmed. Used ECU might work since it has been programmed to work in the car it has been taken from... So this is my own way to see the difference between USED and NEW Engine Control Unit. I will appreciate if somebody correct me if I am wrong and explain me how this matter really is.

Thanks in Advance!
Rud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #37539 by Patrickreaves
Replied by Patrickreaves on topic ECU
in my experience, newer cars are making it harder to do things like you said. the pcm, antenna coil, transponder key, and sometimes an antitheft module, and sometimes the instrument cluster are all programmed together. cant replace any one component with out reprogramming it back in with everything else. all anti theft components talk to each other.

i have done a used pcm swap before, and needed all components of the anti theft system from the same vehicle that the pcm came out of.
As the cars get newer, more and more components and modules are coded together making it almost impossible without having a complete donor car with the same everything (engine,tranny, cluster with message center, abs module, coil antenna, key transponder, and anti theft module, to swap it all over to the other car.
you would have to research the anti theft system in the car to find what all components are coded together
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Patrickreaves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rudolph.palm

• rudolph.palm
More
4 years 3 months ago #37548 by rudolph.palm
Replied by rudolph.palm on topic ECU
Thanks for your reply, I agree with you!. This is a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer and so far I know it is not equipped with all those security features you mentioned. My main concern in this case is if I would have the same "luck" in this case by using a brand new ECU and not a used ECU. Just want to know the difference between a brand new and a used ECU in regard to the programming. Wandering if ECUs/PCMs are being programmed at OEM factory or they will be programmed for the first time once it is installed in the car...

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #37549 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic ECU
Hi guys,

I think the new ecu is going to be blank (only boot code) which allows it to connect with the app which sends the specific information.

The same ecu could be used even for different cars, so that the factory sends ecus to dealers in blank condition.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by guafa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rudolph.palm

• rudolph.palm
More
4 years 3 months ago #37550 by rudolph.palm
Thanks guafa!! That is what I thought but was not 100% sure. Its not a good news for me, but at least I know better now. The whole issue I am having is that I will not be able to program this ECU after having a subscription at the OEM Mitsubishi site because the Mitsubishi site available for us (aftermarket repair shops) only support cars sold in the US. I have searched this site where they give a bunch of information before you subscribe. And the ECU part number is not appearing on the supported list. This ECU part number is 1860A799. This car is listed as "GENERAL/EXPORT". This car was NOT sold in the US The VIN: JMYSRCY2A8U00844. (is from Japan). I am not aware of where else I can find the OEM application for Mitsubishi and other makes that supports cars not sold in the US. We in the Caribbean are having hard time when it comes to this topics. Maybe the local Mitsubishi dealer may program this car but they will charge about U$D. 800 to do this.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #37556 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic ECU
Have you tried any used parts dealer from Japan?

I have never tried, but year ago, i explored some web pages which sell used parts for japanesse cars.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by guafa.

• rudolph.palm
More
4 years 3 months ago #37582 by rudolph.palm
I will try to see what I find, thanks

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds