Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0171 p0174 lean code

More
4 years 3 months ago #37474 by greaserlarry
Hi on the 2002 chevy 1500 with lean codes p0171 and p0174 I did replace the intake gasket it was bad I checked intake for cracks found none cleared codes took for test drive drove it down the hyway for 5 -6 miles at 65 mph check engine light never came on long term fuel trims were still at 25 when holding steady rpm and mph lean codes came back no check engine light I have a snap on apollo scanner I went to check freeze frame data under generic functions and there is none or active codes under generic functions and still no check engine light the customer replace the mass air flow and all 4 oxygen sensors with correct parts I checked the part numbers my question is what I'm I missing why does it show nothing under generic functions and what should a good long term fuel trim be
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37478 by tech25
Replied by tech25 on topic P0171 p0174 lean code
in generic mode, the car has to see the fault 2 times to set the check engine light.

25 in long term is not good. that is basically saying the computer is adding as much fuel as it can and it is still running lean..

remember,, short term fuel trim, drives long term... example, short trim will add or remove fuel, up to a certain amount, like 20 %, when it reaches its limit, it then increases long term, and the short trim then resets and the process repeats.

I would smoke test the complete intake system and make sure there is no exhaust leaks.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37479 by TheTechWhisperer
What are is your total fuel trim at idle on each bank? (total fuel trim = Short term + long term)

To answer your question, domestic vehicle manufacturers typically allow for total Fuel Trim of +/-10%. But I personally don't like to see it deviate much beyond +/- 5%, especially on late model vehicles.

As a general rule of thumb for the top 3 things that would cause lean on both banks...

Vacuum leak/unmetered air
FT@idle: High +%
FT under load: Gets much better

Poor fuel supply/low fuel pressure
FT@idle: normal (near zero) or a little high
FT under load: Very high +%

MAF
FT@idle: normal or slightly high +% or slightly high -%
FT under load: Gets worse (+%)

There are a whole bunch of other things that can cause these codes, but I always start with what I just mentioned above if I am lean on both banks, as these are the most common causes.

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

More
4 years 3 months ago #37487 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic P0171 p0174 lean code
have you done wiring integrity testing... check power, grounds, heater circuits, 02 voltage oscillation. manually tested the 02's with propane and induced vacuum leak... did you clear codes and erase the block learn after repairs.

smoke test engine if you have a smoker, if not use water. even if you do not find an external leak, could have an internal... +25 is high, suggest a big vacuum leak.

good LTFT's = 0 best... no more than +- 10 max...

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 3 months ago #37488 by VegasJAK
Replied by VegasJAK on topic P0171 p0174 lean code
watch the STFT's on your scantool when doing your testing, they will be first to show any change

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 3 months ago #37495 by greaserlarry
Replied by greaserlarry on topic P0171 p0174 lean code
I cleared the codes checked wires working on a smoke machine tried water didnt find anything yet I plugged off the brake booster to see if that would do anything and so far nothing

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds