Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Explorer EB 4.0L PCM ECT

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #37459 by Msober1
I have posted this problem before. I finally caught this problem on my scanner and it’s one of those intermittent ones. When engine is cold below 40* the startup rpm would go as high as 2600 or 2800rpm. No codes at all no pending codes and everything looked good but I tested all cold start system’s and removed and cleaned TB. Then one morning it was 5* outside and I plugged in my Snap On scanner and there it was-40 ECT. Turned on the key and in 2 or 3 seconds it would change but was still reading low. It’s a new sensor so I grab another one do a wiggle test again then plug in the newer one and it’s the same. Scanner saying I have 5v ref but I meter it and it’s true. So I tested the yellow sig return wire for high resistance from PCM to ECT connection and it’s good. It happens so fast that it sets the idle speed but will not set a code. So PCM is going out for R&R. Has anyone else ever had this problem????? Ty all who have replied along this nightmare because this truck is mine. Ha ha
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Msober1.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37461 by tech25
never seen this problem before,, but if you have swapped known good ect parts multiple times, and you are POSITIVE both wires going to the ecm, and connectors and pins are also good.

then it has to be a faulty ecm.

but to be sure, with the scan tool hooked up, and reading the ect pid, and you unplug the connector, it should go to -40.. does it do that??

More
4 years 3 months ago #37484 by TheTechWhisperer
There is a software update for the PCM specifically for this issue. Check out TSB#07-23-12

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #37485 by tech25

TheTechWhisperer wrote: There is a software update for the PCM specifically for this issue. Check out TSB#07-23-12

that tsb is superseded by # 08-18-02. it does not state anything about coolant temp sensor failure, and talks about throttle bodies issues. is there something you know that is not posted in the tsb??
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by tech25.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37494 by Msober1
Ty Tech25 for the reply. Yes I was sooo hoping it was the ect connector or hi res in harness to pcm but know luck.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37499 by jreardon
Check pin fitment at PCM harness? If that doesn't fix it then back probe the yellow wire at the PCM and ground it out. If the PCM still show -40* then it's bad.

imgur.com/a/IZ5TULr

More
4 years 2 months ago #37580 by Msober1
Hey I want to say ty to all that helped with my truck. I performed all the tests and reperformed them and it’s all pointing to PCM. Ty so much for all the support

More
4 years 2 months ago #37581 by Msober1
Now I have a question for you guys about luck with reman PCMs. I would love to just go to ford and buy one but that’s out of my budget. What other companies have you worked with on Ford PCMs and have had good experience.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds