Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

GM P0442

More
4 years 3 months ago #37441 by tonybushmin
GM P0442 was created by tonybushmin
Been seeing a reoccurring issue with evap systems on many different GM products and when smoke testing the system it shows no leaks. I had one customer with a 2007 Chevy Colorado with an intermittent P0442 I believe, did a purge/seal test, brought it up to a good vacuum and sealed the system, it held a vacuum which should mean its sealed right? I did some further research and there are certain conditions that must be met and a particular procedure the pcm uses to identify if it has a small evap. leak. Now this issue was put on hold for a little while until the other day. The customer returned the other day for unrelated services and I decided to take another look at the components of her evap. system. I check the fuel tank pressure sensor koeo, cap off, and it read between 1.45-1.47v and about -0.01kPa. And I checked a known good and it reads the same. If I go to a baro sensor it reads 100kPa. What am I not understanding correctly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37445 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic GM P0442
I don't think you're misunderstanding anything, necessarily. Only that, IMO, the Purge/Seal test is not a perfect indication that there are no leaks.

It's a crappy situation to be in. :silly: I can give you a couple suggestions? One would be to repeatedly cycle the purge and vent valves with the smoke machine flowing. Make both seal consistently. You can sometimes catch a purge valve sticking open just enough to cause a small leak code, but not enough to cause a P0496.

The other would be to apply vacuum with a hand pump to both valves and check for sealing. The idea is that one or the other may leak vacuum (which the system uses to check for leaks) and not pressure (which the smoke machine creates). Don't get stupid with it - a few "hg is plenty.

Your check of the FTP voltage is definitely a good idea. :B Obviously, make sure that your reading also changes when vacuum is applied. You can get false leaks codes from an FTP that doesn't change from 1.5V, or a purge valve that's stuck closed and not flowing.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37450 by tonybushmin
Replied by tonybushmin on topic GM P0442

Tyler wrote: I don't think you're misunderstanding anything, necessarily. Only that, IMO, the Purge/Seal test is not a perfect indication that there are no leaks.

It's a crappy situation to be in. :silly: I can give you a couple suggestions? One would be to repeatedly cycle the purge and vent valves with the smoke machine flowing. Make both seal consistently. You can sometimes catch a purge valve sticking open just enough to cause a small leak code, but not enough to cause a P0496.

The other would be to apply vacuum with a hand pump to both valves and check for sealing. The idea is that one or the other may leak vacuum (which the system uses to check for leaks) and not pressure (which the smoke machine creates). Don't get stupid with it - a few "hg is plenty.

Your check of the FTP voltage is definitely a good idea. :B Obviously, make sure that your reading also changes when vacuum is applied. You can get false leaks codes from an FTP that doesn't change from 1.5V, or a purge valve that's stuck closed and not flowing.

Yes I need to get a vacuum pump. But that still confuses me. Why womt the ftps read barometric pressure. How do you test a ftps?

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #37462 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic GM P0442

tonybushmin wrote: But that still confuses me. Why womt the ftps read barometric pressure. How do you test a ftps?

You mean the difference between the Baro sensor reading 100 kpa and the FTP reading 0 kpa? That's because the Baro reading is in pressure absolute, and the FTP is in pressure gauge. On the absolute scale, zero is a perfect vacuum. The gauge scale has zero at ambient pressure. The data PIDs show different values, but they're really the same reading. ;)

The test of an FTP sensor would be to compare it's reading to a rational situation. As in, if the FTP says there's 10" H2O in the tank, but the fuel cap is off. :lol: This isn't rationally possible. Or, the FTP says 0" H2O, but the purge is wide open and the fuel trims are pegged out rich. You know rationally that flow is taking place. Make sense?
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jreardon

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #37468 by Patrickreaves
Replied by Patrickreaves on topic GM P0442
thats some master tips right there! thanks
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Patrickreaves.

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds