Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2011 Ram 1500 w/5.7L cylinder 5 misfire

More
4 years 2 months ago #37382 by Johnl1373
So I’m having a fun day trying to figure out why I have a cylinder 5 misfire on a 2011 Ram 1500 with a 5.7l. Compression is good, good coil and plugs, no intake leaks, vacuum test tells me valve sprigs are good, and solid cam and crank signals, also a good injector balance test. Then I saw the waveform of coil and injector and wondered why injector is spraying fuel at the same time the spark takes place. Truck runs good until the PCM turns coil and injector off at 55mph.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #37386 by Denisf
Valve spring issues don't always show at idle. Did you check vac gauge reading for fluctuating needle at higher rpm?
Those were also prone for lifter failures.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Denisf.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37387 by Patrickreaves
how are fuel trims?, should be lean and cause a positive fuel trim on the misfiring bank.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37414 by Johnl1373
I did and it stayed steady. Leaning toward a PCM because I can monitor a consistent misfire even though it is not misfiring. noticeable rpm drop when I disconnect the 0fuel injector.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37415 by Johnl1373
Running compression did make it stick out. 80 psi on cylinder 3 and only 45 on cylinder 5.

More
4 years 2 months ago #37422 by Tyler
That kind of injector timing isn't unusual, in my experience. You'd think it'd fire on the intake stroke, right? But few do. My car fires the injector during the exhaust stroke. :silly:

Definitely pursue the difference in running compression. With those numbers, and the misfire you're describing, leads me to think about worn cam lobes.

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds