Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0340 Ford Ranger

More
4 years 3 months ago #37129 by theyeti
P0340 Ford Ranger was created by theyeti
2001 Ford Ranger XLT / 3.0L with 2 wire camshaft sensor

I watched scannersdanners video on youtube with my same exact truck and camshaft sensor. My camshaft sensor signals are good and the wiring is good. I have read discussions and watched videos that discuss that the alternator can cause this code to trigger if there is noise on the ac voltage that it produces. I tested the diodes / rectifiers and AC voltage coming from the alternator and all appear to be within specifications. Has anyone heard of this issue and what are your thoughts. Also any another suggestions to resolve this code would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37130 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0340 Ford Ranger
Is the code intermittent, or does it reset immediately? Has the phaser been replaced already?

More
4 years 3 months ago #37131 by theyeti
Replied by theyeti on topic P0340 Ford Ranger
code is hard set. If cleared it will come right back. Not sure what you mean by phaser.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37133 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0340 Ford Ranger
Sorry, the CMP sensor. :lol: Ford calls it a cam phaser, or synchronizer.

If you're 100% confident in the wiring and the sensor, then the only thing left is the timing of the CMP signal to the CKP signal. It's unlikely that the timing gets off on its own, which is why I wondered if the sensor had been replaced. Do you have access to a two channel scope?
The following user(s) said Thank You: theyeti

More
4 years 3 months ago #37134 by theyeti
I do not have access to scope anymore. Was more curious about the computer setting this code if it was picking up noise on the ac output of the alternator. Do you have a link to procedure for checking the signals between the CMP and CKP? Would assume you would put one on each channel of a scope. Should they be in sync with each other. I may have access to scope in future.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37171 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic P0340 Ford Ranger
Well if your worried about the alternator causing the issue couldn’t you just unplug the alternator and remove the battery cable from it start it up and check for a minute
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 3 months ago #37190 by theyeti
Ty. I did this today and light did not come back on. Still digging a little deeper though.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37191 by theyeti
OK so I got the following from a scope of camshaft and crankshaft signals and from what information I found it appears I am off alot. From what I understand the 2 signals should intersect in the middle of the camshaft sine wave on the 8th upswing of the crankshaft after the missing tooth signal. Does this sound correct for an 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0? Would adjusting / rotating the camshaft body be the proper way to correct this? Also any suggestion on how to tweak scope settings would be appreciated. See Link below for scope results.

Ford Ranger Cam and Crank Signal

More
4 years 3 months ago #37192 by gav09
Replied by gav09 on topic P0340 Ford Ranger

appears you are off a little. You rotate the bottom part to adjust it. They also make tools for your alignment or you can watch your scope and try to match it up to the waveform.
www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-TK01-Sync...J9W8FEN51BYMMP78RTPA
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #37195 by theyeti
Thank you I will give this a try today. On your picture of the scope what is the yellow signal indicating?

More
4 years 3 months ago #37199 by gav09
Replied by gav09 on topic P0340 Ford Ranger
i believe its ignition coil current.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37208 by theyeti
Solution was to remove the synchronizer and move clockwise until it seated in. I believe a 1l4 turn. When i initially moved a 1l4 turn counterclockwise the scope showed intersection of signals around the 24th rise of crankshaft. When i started it was around the 16th rise. It is know properly on the 8th rise. Camshaft sensor can be tweaked but connector should roughly be at 38 degrees from center, pointed towards passengers side. Truck is now shifting super smooth. Hesitation and bucking gone. Fingers crossed MPG improves. Ty all for your help.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds