Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0106 with low manifold vacuum

More
4 years 3 months ago #36768 by Theshorefix
I have a 2005 ford mustang with 4.0l v6. It has a dtc p0106 map sensor out of range. It has no power and upon diagnosing ive ran across the followong, pid for map was showing 10.44 hgs vacuum at idle followed with a gauge with the same result. Snap the the throttle it drops to 0 and bounces to 21 22 hgs then back down to 10. Holding it at 2500 rpm the vacuum raises to 15 hgs. Compression check is around 105 to 115 on all cylinders, leak down test tested good so I'm leaning towards late valve timing causing this. Idk what to do next, timing advance at idle bounces from 3.5 up to 34 degrees and all around. Any incite into how to diagnose this problem the right way would be greatly appreciated. Also I watch a lot of your videos and habe learned so much thanks in advance...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36769 by Cheryl
If you had a scope you could check cam to crank relationship. So you ruled out a restricted exhaus? Sounds like it with the vacuum gauge test.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36772 by Theshorefix
Yes ive done a back pressure test and was getting about 1psi at 2500 rpms also dropped the h pipe to be sure and the vacuum condition is the same with or with out the exhaust hooked up. I have a maxysis ts906 but I haven't bought the scope yet it is one thing I plan to get next once its paid off... The only pid I see for timing is timing advance and it jumps around feom 3.5 degrees to 36 degrees at idle but at 3000 rpm steady its 46 degrees, ive looked thru alldata wverywhere amd can not find any way of checking the timing or a spec for it. I am really leaning towards late valve timing but dont know how to prove it, ive learned so much from the youtube channel here but im lost as in what to do or what I can do to proove or disprove my theory...

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36773 by Theshorefix
From what I understand normal compression on the 4.0l is normally 160 to 175 with a high compression motor.. Leak down test it good leading me to believe the valves are opening late and its unable to build full compression . this is just a theory but I need to know how to proove or disprove this...
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Theshorefix.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36774 by guafa
Hi,

You can also check O2 upstream sensor activity, so you can rule out a fuel delivery issue.

At wot, 02 voltage should be rich all the time.

Edit: On the road
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by guafa.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36777 by guafa
By the way,

The final pressure in a compression test, depends on baro pressure (or altitude).

More
4 years 3 months ago #36851 by Theshorefix
I dont see how a fuel issue could cause low manifold vacuum and compression, but everything looks good, even long-term and short term trims are plus or minus 3.5 both banks short and 0 long.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36956 by Matts Auto
without a scope your probably looking at removing timing cover to verify timing.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36965 by Denisf
I really hope you don't have to deal with timing chains on that one.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Denisf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 3 months ago #36966 by guafa
Fuel delivery issue is related to lack of power. I rather when diagnosing, rule out another hypothesis.

To discard valve timing issue, you can unplug valve actuators.

You can also perform again compression test with valve actuators unppluged.

105 to 115 psi seems to me a low pressure, but if you live like me at 3200 m/(8000 feet), that could be normal. What is suspicious is the difference between cylinders, but again leak down test contradics a mechanical issue.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36967 by guafa
I'm supposing fuel trims you mentioned, are under load? At wot?

That would be great to know the ones (fuel trims) which match with the lack of power.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 3 months ago #36992 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic P0106 with low manifold vacuum

Denisf wrote: I really hope you don't have to deal with timing chains on that one.

You're not kidding!

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 3 months ago #37148 by Theshorefix
Yes I will, confirmed broken rear cassette.

More
4 years 3 months ago #37149 by Theshorefix
Confirmed, pulled motor and rear cassette is broke clean off, I don't know how it wasnt making any noise. That's for the help tho

More
4 years 3 months ago #37150 by Theshorefix
I pulled the valve covers and my theory has been confirmed. Broken rear chain guide
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, guafa

More
4 years 3 months ago #37161 by VegasJAK
What I learned from this was the idle timing jumping around. I doubted myself for some reason, knowing that the idle timing timing should be steady.

When you get it back together... please post the idle timing.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds