Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2

More
4 years 2 months ago #36627 by shermand34
Mr Danner,

I just watched your video on the Dakota you had titled no spark or fuel. A little background on my issue if I may. I bought this truck two years ago. Needed a Tranny. While I was looking for a Tranny I decided to rebuild the engine. The 5.2. While the block was at the machine shop getting tested and bored 30 over I basically ended up doing off the frame restore. Engine shop took six months. So I replaced pretty much everything in the suspension and driveline. Bought all new accessory parts for the engine when I got it back. The only thing that was reused on the engine was the block. Got it all together, hit the key, fired right up. I heard a rubbing sound that was coming from the transmission that I just spent $1500 for. But I ran the engine for ten minutes, off ten, on ten, and off three times. Started no problem every time. I went to pull the Tranny to take it back. I loosened most of the Tranny bolts. Started to separate it and the inspection plate fell out. I immediately noticed rubbing marks on it. So I figured it probably was the problem. Without the plate in it I tightened the bolts back down. Went to start it to see if I could hear it, and nothing. Turns over fine but no spark or fuel pressure. Replaced the new coil, cam sensor, crank sensor, mapp sensor and still nothing. Someone told me to check voltage on sensors that should have a constant 5 volts. I’m getting 1.37. They said had to be computer. So I got a new computer. Still nothing. Now, here’s where it gets interesting. Before my security light was not on. Since it quit starting it is on. How can I bypass the security? The other day I figured I would hook the battery up for the hell of it to see if anything would happen. Opened the door and the alarm went off. Put the key in the ignition and still nothing. Unlocked the doors and it still kept beeping. Had to unhook the battery to get it to stop. Also a asd relay keeps clicking when the key is on. I don’t know what else to do. I have a ton of money in the truck and can’t start it. If you can help any way I’d appreciate it. Oh one other thing. I figured I’d hook my OBD II scanner to it to see if there were codes. It just reads “link error “.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #36633 by Andy.MacFadyen
Have you still got the original engine computer ? If so what I would do is try putting the original computer back in and then look for a trapped sensor wire shorted to ground or a sensors with physical damage.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 2 months ago #36637 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic 1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2
If all else fails cut the 5 volt reference wire at the pcm put original one back in. Cut it where you can repair it. If you have 5 volts then there is either a shorted sensor or shorted reference wire. I’m betting some wire got pinched between engine and transmission

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 2 months ago #36640 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2

Cheryl wrote: I’m betting some wire got pinched between engine and transmission

Exactly my thought

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
4 years 2 months ago #36649 by shermand34
Replied by shermand34 on topic 1997 Dodge Dakota 5.2
I don’t have the original one. I had to turn it in when I bought a new one. You don’t happen to know what plug and pin is the constant 5 volts do you?

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds