Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2000 Toyota Solara 3.0 Sensor question

More
4 years 3 months ago #36551 by popoften
Had to replace radiator on this car. I remembered to get the sensor that screws into to the radiator at the bottom near the lower radiator hose connection point to transfer over to new radiator. But alas job got interrupted and I lost the old sensor. So I have to buy a new one. The hole on the radiator that the sensor screws into look like M16 threads. But all the sensors (coolant temp sensors) the parts stores have to sell have M12 sized threads. I am not even sure what this sensor is. Alldata says the coolant temp sensors (two of them) mount on top of the engine. So I am stumped as to what this sensor that screws into the base of the radiator even is, and how to find the correct replacement. Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

Pop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36552 by Andy.MacFadyen
Sounds like you are looking for an old style radiator fan thermal switch rather than a temperature sensor .

I did a quick check and Toyota V6 radiator fan thermostat switches for 1998 to 2002 are M16x1.5mm but I can't help you with part number.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36553 by Tyler
I'm wondering if that's a gauge sender. I found this item on RockAuto that seems to match your description:

I'm not saying you want to put a GPD sensor in your car. :silly: But that might get you pointed in the right direction.

The wiring diagrams are a little vague. The engine diagram only shows one ECT, and the instrumentation diagram shows a temp sender with only one wire. :unsure: As a fun test, you could measure voltage on both wires KOEO. Then, use a test light to short them together. If your coolant temp gauge now starts swinging hot, you know you're on the right track.
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #36554 by Chad
I pulled this Part # 8942841010, off of Alldata, for the cooling fan switch.

parts.toyota.com/p/63538696/8942841010.html

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
4 years 3 months ago #36555 by Tyler
I think Chad is on the right track. B) Dug around the wiring diagrams and found this:

Do the wire colors match? Blue/white and white/black.

Searching for a cooling fan switch takes you here on RockAuto:

www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2000,...ator+fan+switch,4312
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36658 by popoften
Thanks guys. I ordered both the GPD from rock auto as well as a beck arnely from amazon. The GPD had threads that were too small despite what the description said. But the Beck Arnley from Amazon is perfect. Thanks all for your help!

Pop
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by popoften. Reason: Spelling

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds