Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L P0137 & P 0157

More
4 years 3 months ago #36416 by mswhitman@gmail.com
I just changed the transmission on my 2005 Liberty, and since then am getting a P0137 and p0157 code. I checked the wiring, with the sensors unplugged, it's showing 1.25 on each, plugged in, shows the same on all sensors with key on ignition off. As soon as the engine starts, both front sensors oscillate as normal, and the rears do for maybe five minutes then drop to zero volts on both. I do not know if these sensors are OEM or not, they look to be Bausch. Could me removing the exhaust and maybe getting banged around a bit have caused them to go bad? I just got a Hantek scope, but haven't used it yet and am pretty green using a scope. Thanks for any and all input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36423 by VegasJAK
the post 02's have four wires... a power and ground for the heater and a signal and ground for the sensor. on which wire/s are you getting the 1.25v.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 3 months ago #36440 by mswhitman@gmail.com
The 1.25 is on the signal wire showing on the scan tool. It oscilates Norman until warm, then flatlines.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #36442 by ptebo1
Start it and wait for one or both of the rear o2`s to flat-line @ the 0 volt mark, then dis-connect 1 or both of them and see if the o2 data pid for them jumps back up to the 1.25 volts. I believe this would be a good directional test and could possibly prove the o2 sensors are @ fault. Good Luck.

ScannerDanner actually has a great free youtube video talking about this test method since it appears your chrysler uses a bias voltage.

skip to about the fifteen minute mark in the video
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scanner+danner+o2+sensor
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by ptebo1. Reason: adding a scannerdanner video
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 3 months ago #36451 by mswhitman@gmail.com
I tested as you said and it does jump back to 1.25v. So I know that the wiring is fine, As info, the fronts are working fine and total fuel trim on each bank is under +4. There seems to be good exhaust flow coming from the tail pipe and no exhaust leaks. I leaning towards the sensors. Would them banging around during the exhaust removal and install cause them to go bad? Like I said earlier, when cold starting they are osculating along with the fronts. It doesn't take long for them to go to zero though, maybe 1 minute or so. I also checked the heaters and there is good current running through them.

Thanks for the input.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36472 by VegasJAK
downstream 02 sensor voltage should oscillate 2.5 to 3.5v. voltage on the ground should be 2.5v.

bosch sensors used upstream on chryslers are known for problems... could be same problem when used downstream.

If the 02's were working fine prior to the trans repair and you have no wiring damage, then I would suspect the 02 have gone bad.

Yes, you can damage the 02 by contamination or mis handling.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 3 months ago #36623 by mswhitman@gmail.com
I have replaced the downstream sensors and have no more C.E.L. That did the trick. Now my wife tells me that it smells like it is burning rich and I kind of agree with her. The fuel trims are spot on + or - 6 total fuel trim. I'm thinking about changing the upstream sensors to also be OEM. Does anyone think that it is a good idea even with good fuel trims? Any other suggestions?

More
4 years 3 months ago #36631 by VegasJAK
neg fuel trims suggest a rich condition... as I mentioned before anything other than OEM 02's for Chrysler/Jeep cause problems. Did you clear code after fix?

More
4 years 3 months ago #36632 by mswhitman@gmail.com
I did reset the code after fix and monitored the fuel trims and they look fine. averaging around zero, of course some + and some -, but all within ten percent overall. I have seen that aftermarket on Chrysler vehicles will cause issues and I don't know what this has in it. If the current sensors are aftermarket, would they cause lean or rich trims? I'm not sure. With my mindset, if the sensors are inaccurate, I would think the the trims would be off.

More
4 years 3 months ago #36657 by VegasJAK
the aftermarkets have a problem with the heater circuit and keeping the 02 at operating temp... with the trims where they are should not be issue but you have fuel smell. Is the smell in the engine bay or out the tailpipe?

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds