Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 CORVETTE C6 LS2 - MAF frequency Dropping out after car warms up

More
4 years 6 months ago #35857 by REM
Have a 2005 corvette - big cam and stroker LS 2 ( 404 CI) ( yes new reluctor wheel on new crank BUT car starts and runs fine until it acts up ) - everything going great with driveability before car starts to really deteriorate to the point where it would stall and not stay running with super rich black smoke and backfires. I noticed in the HPTuner log that the MAF is clearly dropping out frequency wise - the trace is sinusoidal with varying frequency - but has vertical drop out to zero and back like from 3-4K Hz to 0Hz and then back again .. I looked at earlier logs where it was running better and it did not have the drop outs at all. I have also noticed that my Tach needle on my cluster also bounces to zero and back to whatever rpm it is at ( instantaneously) when it starts to act up, the duration of zero tach needlestaying at zero increases the with the car;s deterioration in driveability. Car runs fine when its cold, but slowly deteriorates to the point of dying. Then I have to wait for it to cool down before I can start this cycle all over again.

What I have done: 1) new delphi MAF sensor 2) new crank position sensor 3) new larger battery w/ larger capacity wise, ( ECU voltage WAS all over the place and I suspected weak battery that was not recovering after frequent restarts - so I put an interstate grp 25 megatron + w/1000 cold cranking amps - battery voltage now stable. But - still funny MAF reading.) 4) checked alternator.
5) I have read in some other corvette centric forums suggest replace starter - some how this drags down wiring harness voltage ( sounds crazy to me - thus have not doe this yet).

CODES: Initially codes indicated crank position sensor & MAF.

Because the HPtuner suite looks at the data from the computer side, I dont know if it is the cars wiring or sensors going away - or the computer E40 starting to die ( as I said gets worse with time and temperature from cold start).

PLAN: Scope out the CKP, CMP sensors and MAF sensors at the ECU.

OTHER: Did notice the ECU molded fiber glass frame mount was cracked and I believe this car has had a slight smack in the vicinity of the ECU mounting.

File Attachment:

File Name: 2005Corvet...gs-3.pdf
File Size:1,834 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: 2005Corvet...gs-3.pdf
File Size:1,834 KB

This is kicking my butt - any ideas appreciated Rick
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds