Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

99 GM 4.3 CKP issue

More
4 years 4 months ago #35681 by m1keyp92
99 GM 4.3 CKP issue was created by m1keyp92
Just got done putting a new engine in my 99 S10 Blazer.
I have a crank no start condition which I have already determined to be from a lack of spark. I also noticed the tach stuck at 0 RPM while cranking so of course I went to the CKP sensor. +12V is there, Sensor Ground lights up my test light (~150mA) and when i ground the signal wire i get a nice spark from the coil. Wiring confirmed. When I backprobe the signal wire it is at 5V regardless of the crank shaft position. I am suspecting a bad CKP since after replacing the front cover on the donor engine i had to swap over the sensor from my old engine to replace the damaged one that came with the donor. Can anyone confirm this is a sensor issue and not an air gap issue? I vaguely remember 4.3 and 5.7 having a shim kit for the CKP but I am really unable to find any info about it online.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35682 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 99 GM 4.3 CKP issue
If you pull the sensor (leave it connected), you should be able to toggle the signal by passing a screwdriver, or wrench, across the pick-up. If you can't, blame the sensor.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
4 years 4 months ago #35686 by m1keyp92
Replied by m1keyp92 on topic 99 GM 4.3 CKP issue
Just to clarify, you are suggesting I remove the sensor from the cover and pass a ferrous object in front of sensor tip and see if it triggers the hall effect? That's actually a super simple test that I overlooked Thanks I will try it out and post results.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35687 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 99 GM 4.3 CKP issue

m1keyp92 wrote: Just to clarify, you are suggesting I remove the sensor from the cover and pass a ferrous object in front of sensor tip and see if it triggers the hall effect?

Yes. B)

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)

More
4 years 4 months ago #35799 by m1keyp92
Replied by m1keyp92 on topic 99 GM 4.3 CKP issue
Pulled sensor, no change in voltage from passing metal. Threw in a new one. I barely even breathed on the key and she fired right up. Thanks for jogging my memory LOL!

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds