Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

02 Honda Odyssey P1399 Random Misfire

More
4 years 4 months ago #35557 by scott_a
I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey with 389,500 miles on it. Recently I had a check engine light come on. Took it to a local shop for repair as the nearest Honda dealer is over an hour away. The shop said that I am getting a P1399 misfire code.

They replaced all 6 spark plugs, coils, and cleaned the ground wires. I picked up the van and drove it home. The next day the check engine light came back on and I took it back to the shop. They replaced the EGR valve and PCV valve and the battery saying that was weak. (2 year old battery).

Today the light is back on but flashing this time and now it actually runs really bad. They are cleaning out my checkbook and I don't think they know what is wrong with it. Just replacing every part they can find. What things can I check here at home before taking it back to the shop again?

First big problem I have ever had with this van.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
4 years 4 months ago #35559 by Noah
There's a few pattern failures that come to mind when misfires are present with that engine. To help narrow it down a bit it would be helpful to know when the misfire is most noticable.

-At idle?
-While driving?
-cold engine?
-warm engine?
-All the time?

Do you have a tool that can provide you live data?

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
4 years 4 months ago #35560 by Cheryl
Since it’s running bad now I’d do a cylinder drop test on it by unplugging coils one at a time each one should make it run rougher. The one that has no effect while unplugging it is the cylinder not contributing.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35561 by scott_a
Thank you for the message.

At first I did not notice anything just had the check engine light come on. It seemed to operate normal. Now that they have done all this work, the flashing check engine light it is a rough idle, rough acceleration to get it home, smells and doesn't sound good at all.

My neighbor says his son has a Snap On scanner they are bringing over tonight to get real time data for you.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35562 by Andy.MacFadyen
As Cheryl was posting if it can be narrowed down to one particular cylinder or cylinders it helps a lot to point to possible faults, if it can't be narrowed down it points to other faults.

Keep it mind the car has a huge number of miles on the the clock with that kind of mileage way beyond the designed life of the car every part in the engine is going to have wear and tear.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
4 years 4 months ago #35662 by Tutti57
Any updates on this one?

Nissan Technician

More
1 week 2 days ago #65294 by Martin723
Did you find the root of the cause ?

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds