× Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2009 GMC Acadia 3.6l

• bhollingsworth
  • Topic Author
More
02 Dec 2019 17:24 #35518 by bhollingsworth
2009 GMC Acadia 3.6l was created by bhollingsworth
I have a 2009 GMC Acadia with the 3.6l and I am getting crank with no start. Low compression on all cylinders 75 is the highest on #1 and #6 is at 10 psi. I’ve code codes for misfire on cylinders 2,3,5, and 6 along with camshaft solenoid codes p0014, p0011, and p0021. Ive pulled the valve covers off and top chains are tight and don’t show any wear and the valves look good from what I can tell, I’ve got fuel and spark! Any help would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
02 Dec 2019 18:09 #35519 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic 2009 GMC Acadia 3.6l
She needs timing chains.
The whole kit is advisable because, well, who wants to do it twice?

"Learn, apply, repeat."

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
02 Dec 2019 18:14 #35520 by Noah
Edit: considering the compression values and the fact that it won't start, it might be a good idea to take the cams right off the heads and do a leak down test to make sure it didn't bend valves. It would suck to spend all the money on timing components and have to take the heads off when you're all done.

"Learn, apply, repeat."

• bhollingsworth
  • Topic Author
More
02 Dec 2019 19:08 #35523 by bhollingsworth
Replied by bhollingsworth on topic 2009 GMC Acadia 3.6l
It had new chains about 40k miles ago, the dealer fixed it under the special warranty, are they really that bad of engines to need it again?

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
02 Dec 2019 19:26 #35524 by Noah
Unfortunately, yes, they are. Sorry to be a downer...

I just read a thread over on iAtn where some poor tech was belittled to the point where he cancelled his membership because he asked how to further diagnose timing codes on one of those. (Glad our members are free ask anything without fear of ridicule), but more to the point...

Even without the junk compression readings and no start condition, I don't think I've ever seen one of those engines with those codes that didn't need chains.
I guess the same goes the other way, even without timing codes, those compression numbers tell the story.

Maybe the dealer work is still under warranty?

Wishing you the best of the luck and a happy holiday.

"Learn, apply, repeat."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

• bhollingsworth
  • Topic Author
More
02 Dec 2019 19:33 #35525 by bhollingsworth
What is ideal compression numbers on this engine? Do you think it would be a waste of money to try the cam solenoids or cam sensors? The work done at dealer only had a one year warranty. I’ve changed this oil religiously every 3,000 miles because I feel like the recommended service is just not enough. Thanks Noah for your help!

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
03 Dec 2019 06:30 - 03 Dec 2019 06:40 #35533 by Noah
Service info says no cylinder should be below 140psi.

90 to 100 generally will support combustion, meaning the cylinder will at least fire although with lower contribution compared to a healthy cylinder.

Cam sensors and solenoids will not restore compression.

Good luck

"Learn, apply, repeat."
Last edit: 03 Dec 2019 06:40 by Noah.

• bhollingsworth
  • Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2019 15:35 #35546 by bhollingsworth
I was just curious if the low compression could be from the raw fuel setting in the cylinders, but numbers that low I don’t think that fuel would be the case.
I didn’t know if a failed solenoid would cause the cams to be out of time

• Noah
  • Massachusetts, USA
More
04 Dec 2019 17:20 - 04 Dec 2019 17:25 #35558 by Noah
Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

If you suspect that the low compression is from fuel wash, you can disable the fuel pump or injectors, and squirt a spoonful of oil in the cylinders and repeat your compression test.

Even if compression does not improve, it will be good experience and another test you can tuck into your diagnostic tool box.

As far as the solenoids, they would be in rest position during cranking, so even if they didn't work it should not effect the engine starting. That and the chances multiple solenoid failure all at once are pretty slim in my opinion.

At the end of the day, it's your car and your money and I'm just some guy on the internet. If changing the solenoids will satisfy your curiosity then go for it. Experience is the greatest teacher, so get all the experience you can.

That said, I wouldn't advise changing them at this point if you were charging somebody for your diagnosis or repairs.

Best of luck, keep us posted with your progress :)
Noah

"Learn, apply, repeat."
Last edit: 04 Dec 2019 17:25 by Noah.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds