Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

03 Saturn Ion stumble

More
4 years 4 months ago #35435 by tiride62
2003 Saturn Ion, 2.2L Ecotec engine, 92km, 58mi, Automatic.
Daughters car, severe misfire cylinder 1 and 4, mostly 1. P0300 and p0700, p1779,and p1781 codes. Didn't have a lot of time, googled most common problems pointed at ignition module. Changed plugs and ignition module, I'm not proud but car is new to us and I was swamped at work so I fired up the parts cannon and crossed my fingers. Better, but still not right. I also checked the TPS with my little uscope, smooth operation, no drop outs or glitches. Cleaned the IAC passage as well as watched it's operation on scantool, it's compensating like it should for extra load. Disconnected, cleaned and lubed (dielectric grease) harness between TCM and ECM as well as all other connections I could get at in the engine bay. Cleaned up grounds and inspected harness for wear. Finally threw a coil pack at it, coils are encased in a plastic housing and I couldn't figure out how to check them. Runs great 95% of the time now. Only remaining problem is it stumbles on take off but only occasionally. Most of the time just drives normal but always have to be wary taking off from a dead stop. Fuel trims are normal. I'm assuming it's a connection or short because there's no rhyme or reason to when it acts up. Was hoping someone may of had this issue on a similar car and could point at a likely culprit, I'm kind of at a loss. I want to return my daughters car so I can get my Yukon back but I don't want her to get caught in an intersection. One more thing, transmission has been worked on, I can see orange RTV where the casing joins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds