Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Fan Motor/Clutch?

More
4 years 4 months ago #35237 by Dtnel
Need some info for 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis in regards to how the fan system works.

Was swapping some wheels for a guy and noticed his fan was running non stop. Asked him if it's normal and he said it's been doing that since he bought the car 3 months ago.

When I spoke with him this morning he asked about it and I asked him if it runs all the time or only on heat in defrost mode as that's what he said it was at last night. He wasn't sure if it ran all the time but thought it may.

It has the 4.6 engine.

With me being unfamiliar with the hydraulic fan as I've seen mentioned online what are some of the things I should look for to get this figured out?

MY thoughts were check fan wiring, relay and any associated fuses.

What else am I missing as I know I'm venturing into unfamiliar territory.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35256 by Tyler
Does this have electric fans, a clutch fan, or both?

If it's the electric fans that run all the time, then this system is pretty straightforward. One relay for low speed, one for high, both controlling power to the fan itself. Both relays are PCM controlled.

If it's a clutch fan, then it may be that the clutch is fully engaged at all times. It should more or less unlock at lower temperatures, and lock in with the engine at operating temperature. Some wetness or dirt collecting around the clutch itself can be an indication of failure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds