Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Airbag light

More
4 years 5 months ago #35000 by popoften
My Autel AP200 scanner dongle displays an active and a stored P1200, airbag pretensioner circuit open code. Resistance in the driver’s side pretensioner unit itself reads 0 ohms on my Klein auto ranging DVOM. Not an open, I know, but from what I have read that resistance should be between 2 and 5 ohms. Tried a 2ohm resistor plugged in to connector in place of pretensioner And light stays on and code won’t clear. Resistance on the circuit measured at connector is 2,300 ohms. What else can I measure? Are there any insights that can be gleaned from what I have found?

Thanks, guys,

Pop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35015 by Cheryl
Can you post wiring diagram? If all possible... so we can troubleshoot this

More
4 years 4 months ago #35053 by popoften
Here is the diagnostic procedure and diagram. Any advice on DIY approach appreciated!

See pix. Thanks!
Attachments:

More
4 years 4 months ago #35055 by Cheryl
What does the passenger side pretensioner read? If you put a 2 ohm resistor in place I’d try with the passengers side to see if the module responds. Only other thing after that is checking resistance of the wires from ocm to drivers pretensioner for opens and shorted to each other or short to grounds/power

More
4 years 4 months ago #35056 by Tyler
To be clear, the SRS light is on, right? Just making sure the scanner isn't sending you on a wild goose chase. ;)

Resistance on the circuit measured at connector is 2,300 ohms.

Really? :huh: So, with the ORC disconnected, 2 ohm resistor installed at the drivers belt pretensioner, you measure 2300 ohms at pins 1 and 2 at the ORC? If that's correct, you're looking at green crusties somewhere in the circuit.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35072 by popoften
Hello, Tyler, yes the airbag light comes on when key turned on and stays illuminated. The P1200 is both a stored code and an active code. The 2300 ohm measurement I did out of curiosity, but with no resistor installed. That may not have been a valid test.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35073 by popoften
And the 2300 ohm test was done at the pretensioner connector.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35076 by Tyler
Gotcha. If you're confident that you had the two ohm resistor installed into the pretensioner connector correctly in step two, I'd redo step three and see what the total circuit resistance is. The way you had it set up previously may have been reading the internal resistance of the module itself.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35078 by popoften
I do not have the "load tool adapter" step three talks about. Can I measure the resistance in the circuit without the adapter and just carefully use the ends of my ohhmeter leads?

More
4 years 4 months ago #35083 by Tyler
Sure! That'll work. Just pick one wire at a time and measure for resistance and short to ground. With the ORC and pretensioner disconnected, of course.

The load tool they're talking about is just your two ohm resistor. Dunno why they can't call it what it is. :lol:

More
4 years 4 months ago #35275 by popoften
Well, we got as far as partially pulling the console to access the control module wires, but the owner of the car, who I was assisting on this project, understandably didn't want to mess with the shift and parking brake linkages, so then the attempt was made to remove the front drivers seat, but one of the bolts developed stripped threads. SO in light of the fact that the project was rapidly careening into the weeds ( at least as perceived by two DIYers), the owner decided to donate the car.

Thanks, all, for your help!

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35287 by Andy.MacFadyen
ISTR Front impact sensor on Chrysler group ? not pretensioner ?

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds