Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

O2 and Evap monitors remain incomplete

More
4 years 6 months ago #34851 by mas116m
I am working on a 2002 Chevy S-10. Unfortunately its way overdue for emissions and in CT the registration can't be renewed until it passes. It originally had a check engine light for a secondary air issue which I diagnosed as a bad motor and a bad vacuum switching valve. I replaced both as well as all of the vacuum lines. It has been driven daily for 2 weeks since that repair and the check engine light has remained off and the monitor for the secondary air system has completed

The problem I am facing is that the monitor for the 02 and Evap still remain incomplete. It has been through several tanks of fuel and the temperature has been moderate enough that I can't see how it has not run the Evap test. It has not set any codes for these systems either.

I did hook a smoke machine to the evap system and I am not finding any leaks. I also energized the vent valve and confirmed that it seals and energized the purge valve and confirmed flow through the purge valve while open and no flow while its closed. My smoke machine is a cheap one so its possible I missed a small leak. I am just unsure why a code would not have set for this yet.

I also looked at the O2 voltage and the O2 sensor seems to be responsive. again there is no code the monitor just remains incomplete.

If anyone has any suggestions of a direction I may be able to go in I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34852 by TheTechWhisperer
Evap doesn't even remotely surprise me, because they can be really picky. You can probably force EVAP to run if you have access to a Tech2. It is a little odd that o2's haven't run after 2 weeks, but it's not totally uncommon either - especially if they don't have enough variances in their normal driving conditions/commute.

Print off the drive cycle/test enable criteria and give it to the customer. Explain that it doesn't matter how much they drive the vehicle, if they aren't fulfilling the requirements of what the PCM wants.

Most states allow for 1 test to be incomplete if all the others passed, IDK if that's the case in CT, but the customer may only need to get one of the 2 monitors to run.

"You will always find the greatest fulfillment in life when you are operating in the gifts God gave you"- Dad

National Director of Technical Training & Mechanical Operations - Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
ASE Master L1 Tech
BMW Master Tech
Ford FACT Advanced Electronics Instructor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds