Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3 L, signal integrity problem

More
4 years 5 months ago #34932 by VegasJAK
So now we know that the EGR open and closes... but does the potentiometer portion of the solenoid work.

To keep the next test simple as possible. It would be best to remove the EGR. This way their will be no confusion on wiring.

With the EGR on the bench, use your DVOM in Ohm mode, hook the positive lead to the 5v reference pin (#2) and the negative lead to the signal pin (#1). You should get an Ohm reading around 4.

Using a screwdriver, push the pintel of the EGR valve upward slowly and notice the resistance change. It should go down to about .2

This test will tell if the potentiometer of the EGR is working properly. If your reading are not within those specs, the solenoid portion of the EGR is bad.

You can check the old EGR as well and compare results.

If above test is good... you have a wiring problem, most likely a short to ground.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34963 by EventAlchemy
Here it is.
AutoZone took their lifetime warranty EGR valve back with no questions asked. I shouldn't complain.
I installed the previous one which I had just purchased few months ago. I think there was 406 code and I erased it and it erased.

Okay,
With harness plugged in to the Valve and with pin in the holes from the back and KOEO
With the meter on 200 Ohm I placed the red probe on #2 and black on #1. No readings, O.L.
With the black probe on negative battery, the red on #2 read 5V and on #1 it read 4V with the meter on Volts.
I placed the red probe on #2 and black on #1, it read about 1 volt.

I followed your recommendation. Took out the EGR valve out and did the same thing as above, it read exactly the same as above.
Then again I just for s** and giggles I I could not move the shaft inside the EGR valve no matter which hole I used to fiddle with it.
At present time there are no codes and I took the rig for a drive. No codes.
At the end I unplugged the harness and the KOEO and did some reading and the same as above. I plugged the harness back in and checked for codes. Nothing and no check engine light. I couldn't force check engine light I guess. I thought if you unplugged the harness, it should trigger check engine light or some code... nothing.
So I guess I will just sit and go on living until the check engine light comes on. What can a person do? :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: aboudi.naddaf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds