Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Nissan Altima charging problem

More
4 years 6 months ago #34721 by Carfreek
I just bought a 2005 Nissan Altima SL with a 3.5 liter engine. It will charge at idle but not going down the road. Belt tension is ok. How does the charging system in this vehicle work and dies anyone have a colored schematic so I can diagnosis the charging system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34724 by Chad

CHARGING SYSTEM

System Description
The generator provides DC voltage to operate the vehicle's electrical system and to keep the battery charged.

The voltage output is controlled by the IC regulator.

Power is supplied at all times to generator terminal B through:
- 120 A fusible link (letter a , located in the fusible link box).

Power is supplied at all times to generator terminal S through:
- 10 A fuse (No. 26, located in the fuse and fusible link box).

Terminal B supplies power to charge the battery and operate the vehicle's electrical system. Output voltage is controlled by the IC regulator at terminal S detecting the input voltage. The charging circuit is protected by the 120 A fusible link.

The generator is grounded to the engine block.

With the ignition switch in the ON or START position, power is supplied:
- through 10 A fuse [No. 14, located in the fuse block (J/B)]
- to combination meter terminal 22 for the charge warning lamp.

Ground is supplied to terminal 14 of the combination meter through terminal L of the generator. With power and ground supplied, the charge warning lamp will illuminate. When the generator is providing sufficient voltage with the engine running, the ground is opened and the charge warning lamp will go off.

If the charge warning lamp illuminates with the engine running, a fault is indicated.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #34815 by Carfreek
On this Nissan I'm working on can you tell me how the bulb circuit works. I ask the son of the alternator light comes on engine off when he turns key to on. He said it doesn't and if that's the case I'm assuming that a burnt out light is causing his no charge condition

More
4 years 6 months ago #34831 by Cheryl
I’ve seen this a few times years ago the bulb was the problem

More
4 years 6 months ago #34832 by Cheryl
On nissans roughly the same year

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds