Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Intermittent P0089, P228D 2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4 AWD

More
4 years 6 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #34655 by GerryM
Randomly intermittent P0089 and P228D. Seems to only do it at Idle and in gear about a 1/2 hr into driving. If put into neutral, park or raise the rpm just off of idle the symptoms and high pressure returns to normal. Engine has recently had a new timing chain installed and vvt solenoids (not by me) and new low fuel pressure sensor. This is my first Direct Injected engine and I'm not sure as to where to start to look. I've only found 2 references to this engine with this issue so far and both seemed to be a consistent problem with bad low pressure sensors. Any direction would be much appreciated.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Tyler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #34658 by Chad
Circuit/System Description

The fuel rail pressure sensor detects fuel pressure within the fuel rail. The engine control module (ECM) provides a 5 V reference voltage on the 5 V reference circuit and ground on the low reference circuit. The ECM receives a varying signal voltage on the signal circuit.

High pressure fuel is regulated by the high pressure fuel pump actuator, which is a part of the high pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump actuator is a solenoid valve. The ECM provides a voltage on the actuator high control circuit and ground on the actuator low control circuit. Both circuits are controlled through output drivers within the ECM. When deactivated, both drivers are disabled. When activated, the high control circuit driver energizes the high pressure fuel pump actuator and the low control circuit driver pulse-width modulates (PWM) the low control circuit to ground.

The high pressure mechanical fuel pump is driven by three lobes on the camshaft. The ECM uses the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor inputs to synchronize the high pressure fuel pump actuator with the position of each of the camshaft lobes. The ECM regulates fuel pressure by adjusting the portion of each pump stroke that provides fuel to the rail.

The ECM monitors the fuel rail fuel pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump actuator to determine if the commanded and actual pressure are within a predetermined range, or if the amount of fuel pressure correction exceeds a calibrated pressure.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P0089

The high pressure fuel pump actuator command is greater than or equal to 240 ° or less than or equal to 0 °. The condition exists for greater than 5 s.

P228D

The actual fuel rail pressure is 3 MPa (435 psi) greater than the desired fuel rail pressure. The condition exists for greater than 5 s.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Chad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaron.barlow

More
4 years 6 months ago #34661 by guafa
Hi guys,

Were those parts replaced by the same symptoms?

In ecotec 2.4 engine (not D.I) i have seen problems in chain guides and chain tensioner.

With the information posted by Chad, those parts would be my first shoot.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34665 by GerryM
From my understanding the chains was replaced because it jumped time. This is how she purchased the vehicle. I was also told it had head work done to it (I'm assuming a couple valves was replaced, but since it doesn't look like it was cleaned up I've questioned this myself. I'm not even sure she knows) and the solenoids was probably an attempt to remedy this issue. I did the low pressure sensor because I questioned the accuracy and it was cheap and easy. Low pressure seems to jump from 40-45 to about 55-65 at idle when warm. Not sure if this is normal or not.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34692 by Tyler
Any timing codes at all? Do the intake and exhaust cams respond correctly to desired angle when power braking? It matters because the intake cam timing impacts the high pressure pump output.

If you never see any timing codes and the oil level is correct, then I'd tend to look away from the timing and go more towards the high pressure pump.

Can your scanner run the high pressure pump output test? I'd suggest ramping the pump output up and down while watching the high pressure and low pressure readings. If you can get the high side to 'stick' high or low, but the low side remains steady enough, then I'd say you're looking at a bad high pressure pump.

If bidirectional control isn't an option, then you may be able to get by with just Global OBD data. The P2289 code set criteria means that when you get it to fail, it's gonna be pretty obvious. :lol:

More
4 years 6 months ago #34704 by GerryM
No timing codes and both the cam actuators and high pressure pump respond flawlessly to bidirectional controls. The only thing I seen that looked a little off was the exhaust cam does fluctuate a little more then the intake does at idle (I believe it was bouncing between 2-7° when 4°is commanded by the computer at idle.) High pressure pump solenoid resistance was dead on 10.1 ohms. Oil level was fine although it is due for a change according to the dash. I can watch the fuel high pressure spike but like I said it's only does it at random at idle but often enough I can get it to do it at least once almost every drive longer than 20 mins. It is also throwing a P0420 but I'm assuming converter is shot or empty because the downstream mimics the upstream pretty consistently. I'm thinking the solenoid in the high pressure pump may be sticking after it gets warm every now and then.. any way to test this without a high pressure fuel gauge?

More
4 years 5 months ago #34712 by Tyler

GerryM wrote: It is also throwing a P0420 but I'm assuming converter is shot or empty because the downstream mimics the upstream pretty consistently.

Ah yeah, these converters are definitely weak. The way the LAF/LEA engines drink oil doesn't help. :silly:

I'm thinking the solenoid in the high pressure pump may be sticking after it gets warm every now and then.. any way to test this without a high pressure fuel gauge?

I think you're on the right track. Pretty sure you won't find a high pressure gauge for this system, or a way to install it. :( If you're doubting the rail pressure sensor, you can always do a rationality check by verifying it reads close to the low pressure side with the low pressure pump running and the engine off.

More
2 years 3 months ago #53997 by up4daz
Having similar symptoms with my 2013 Buick Verano,did you ever find a solution to this?

More
2 years 3 months ago #54003 by GerryM
Ended up being a defective new intake cam phaser. Installed a new AC Delco phaser fixed her problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

More
2 years 2 months ago #54046 by Tyler

Ended up being a defective new intake cam phaser. Installed a new AC Delco phaser fixed her problem.

We appreciate the follow up! :cheer: Do you know what was defective about that phaser? Not advancing? Stuck advanced?

More
2 years 2 months ago #54437 by up4daz
Well we just change the actuators / phasers and the car is still bucking at stop lights. Also change rear fuel sensor near tank still having the same symptoms. Any ideas?

More
1 year 2 months ago #60211 by Danjo
I'm have the same issue .you ever get it figured out?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
1 year 2 months ago #60214 by Noah

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.267 seconds