Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Bad cat? O2 Waveform

More
4 years 6 months ago #34220 by Columbus450

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/i81rb962hx44/public_html/libraries/kunena/External/Nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2321
Bad cat? O2 Waveform was created by Columbus450
2010 Dodge Charger 5.7 hemi (lean misfire bank 1) I suspected bad downstream O2 sensor fixed rich would not respond to my huge vacuum leak I would create Frame 3400

So I changed bank one downstream sensor , The misfire only occurs when going into closed loop now I am suspecting a bad cat I do hear a rattle

Vacuum leak creative here at frame 1400 I do notice the downstream seems to mimic the upstream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34221 by Tyler

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/i81rb962hx44/public_html/libraries/kunena/External/Nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2321
Replied by Tyler on topic Bad cat? O2 Waveform
Did you happen to capture the fuel trims AND O2's during the misfire? What were the original trouble codes?

More
4 years 6 months ago #34225 by Columbus450

Replied by Columbus450 on topic Re:Bad cat? O2 Waveform
(null)
Original codes
P2314 ignition coil 5 secondary circuit insufficient ionization

P0305
Cylinder five misfire

#5 Coil pack + injector looks Great on the scope
Plugs good,

Relative compression test sounds inconsistent sometimes and then it sound normal

Fuel trims go -18 then go back to normal fluctuationing while missing

More
4 years 6 months ago #34226 by Columbus450

As soon as system goes to closed loop , misfire occurs and short trip drops way negative

More
4 years 6 months ago #34227 by Tyler

Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Bad cat? O2 Waveform

Columbus450 wrote: Fuel trims go -18 then go back to normal fluctuationing while missing

When does it go to -18% In open loop? Both banks?

Does Mode $06 agree with the P0305?

#5 Coil pack + injector looks Great on the scope

Really? The coil pack looking good is surprising, given the P2314. Is the burn time on #5 similar to a known good cylinder?

A scope relative compression test is probably a good idea at this point. You can use a good ol' set of test leads if an amp clamp isn't available. ;)

More
4 years 6 months ago #34228 by Columbus450

(null)
-18 when in closed loop looks like both banks

I know right I swapped with good known coil
pack no change

More
4 years 6 months ago #34229 by Columbus450

The misfire only occurs when it goes in closed loop in open loop it’s good, which is why I’m focused on cat and o2 sensors

The moment it goes in Closed loop short term goes way negative

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #34414 by Paul P.

Replied by Paul P. on topic Re:Bad cat? O2 Waveform
If you are able to do a WOT(Wide Open Throttle) test,

You want to see;

Rich 02's
High Calc. Load
High Map Pressure.

If the Calc. Load is Low but the others are good, then you have a breathing problem ie. restricted exhaust/valve timing.

Never stop Learning.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Paul P.. Reason: spelling lol

More
4 years 5 months ago #34416 by VegasJAK

Replied by VegasJAK on topic Bad cat? O2 Waveform
not sure why you're looking at the down stream 02 and the CAT at this point. look at the up streams for data.

the secondary circuit on the coil is the ignition boot, spark plug boot or spark plug wire. check to see that all is ok and you have a good high energy ignition spark at the plug. as moderator said, can be wiring problems at coil. you swapped the coil pack but no mention of the other (plug wire, or boots, plug)

fuel trims are going to be off at this time due to the misfire. if 02 are going rich and lean then they appear to be working at this time. -18 would not be out of line for a misfire, pcm is taking away fuel.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 5 months ago #34474 by Columbus450

(null)
Scanner John,I did swap coil packs and spark plugs , this design the rubber boot is connected to the coil pack so that got swapped as well the misfire still remains on cylinder #5 I believe I have a compression issue on that cylinder I believe I have a compression issue on that cylinder . Even if it is a compression issue I don’t know why the car would be throwing codes for the coil pack ,I also did a current ramp test with my scope and everything looked great looks consistent with the other cylinders on the same bank

More
4 years 5 months ago #34480 by VegasJAK

Replied by VegasJAK on topic Re:Bad cat? O2 Waveform
that's the trick of things... just because you get a code, it does not necessarily mean the coded part is the problem. Paul Danner is a master at automotive diagnosis. He reads and interprets data then test and confirms before making a repair.

That coil pack may be good, but a signal being returned to the PCM could be what is setting the code. A short to ground is a killer sometimes. You have tested the part you also have to check the wiring harness.

Negative trims is a rich condition... the PCM is taking away fuel. Mis-fire will occur if too much fuel is in a cylinder drowning out the plug. High positive(+10 or more) trims that get better with higher RPM are indicative of a vacuum leak. If you have high negative (-10 or more) LTFT and STFT going the same way I'd look at a fuel delivery problem.

Use your upstream (B1S1 and B2S1) 02 data not downstream at this time. Problems with the fuel pump, fuel regulator, EGR, EVAP and fuel injectors are just a few associated with high negative trims.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 5 months ago #34596 by Columbus450

Found the prob scope wasn’t very helpful on this one, Pulled-valve cover
Cylinder number five- intake valve has 0 cam lift , Camshaft lobe is wiped out due to failed roller lifter

The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds