Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

04 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L Eng 162k miles . Ticking noise

More
4 years 6 months ago #34133 by Dtnel
Have knock when running that comes and goes but in the linked video from dropbox it'll show the ticking all the time. It don't matter what time of day or how long it's been running.

It hasn't did it today or yesterday as it's a come and go thing.

IF there's a test or something I can do a capture of data on then I have no problem gaining more knowledge. I think I need to practice capturing data more frequently so I become accustom to doing it.

Here's the 2 videos I took in the first week of Sept,

www.dropbox.com/sh/a8gjfuafjo2c3hl/AAD1T...-TEDRPfPr18fKhra?dl=

It's also has a C2402 which just says pump motor for the ABS and I believe the traction control when I check the Code for each of those systems for the associated codes.

There's also another Code which is for the steering wheel clock spring to be tested.

Need to also do a few other things as well as this is a car we found for my daughter to drive for school and such.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34200 by Tyler
The frequency sounds too fast to be upper end, IMO. You can try killing cylinders individually to see if the noise changes significantly with one cylinder or the other. If the noise goes away or gets worse, you're onto something.

I've also heard similar noises comes from hydraulic timing belt tensioners, which I believe this one uses. You can catch a failing one by giving it a listen with your stethoscope.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34563 by Dtnel
Thanks Tyler! I have a water pump timing belt kit I’ve been planning on installing as being I got the vehicle 2nd hand I’ve been planning on replacing them. This, oil changes and transmission services are something I do when I don’t know the history of the vehicle.

It’s getting really crappy fuel mileage as well. Between 8-10mpg. I replaced the leaky rusty fuel tank as it was rusting from the tsb issue Hyundai has with them rusting out. I was over the mileage by 7k so the dealer couldn’t do the goodwill replacement.

I’m sure that’s not the case. I plan on doing a fuel system service. I think I’ll do a relative compression before and after as well.

Do you know with the 3.5 Hyundai Santa Fe engines do they tend to require valve adjustments by chance? Just scratching my head on this one. Good thing the daughter only drives less than mile to school.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34564 by Dtnel
I also forgot to mention the ticking noise went away for the most part but my daughter did say it comes and goes on occasion but not a specific cycle.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35119 by Dtnel
Funny thing is this issue hasn't returned for awhile. Probably because the vehicle hadn't been getting used a lot and now it gets used daily by the daughter.

Instead of starting another thread I just want to ask you though, when she has it on defrost and we start accelerating or even at idle at times the belt will start squealing. Soon as I turn the heater off the squealing stops. Would I be wrong to say that I have a clutch locking up on the AC compressor?

It doesn't do it all the time just on occasion and I've even driven the vehicle myself when it's did it and had the windows open and you can smell the rubber burning but can I look at the belt that has a shredded itself yet.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds