Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2005 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 alternator and battery draining issues

More
4 years 6 months ago #34085 by Mechanic 350
Having issues with my alternator not reaching above 13.7 V. I watched your video Paul. The one that you were testing the alternator that was computer controlled. My alternator is not reaching 14 volts, it’s only reaching 13.7 V. The circuit is power side switched. Brown/grey wire is my control wire. Black wire is the ground. I perform the power to power voltage drop test and it read 0.030. And the ground read 0.020. This alternator already killed my battery what should I do Paul why am I not doing right?
By the way I noticed that when I did a key on engine running test on the control wire the voltage was 2.62 and it was fluctuating according to the wiring diagram am I not supposed to be reading 12 V. Little help buddy thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34086 by Mechanic 350
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #34087 by Mechanic 350
That was the reading on the control wire plugged in, koer backprobbed.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34094 by Mechanic 350
No Monde. The minivan is not shutting down.
So why would I be getting this reading?

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #34097 by BrandonF
What do you mean "not shutting down"....Or are you refering to a parasitic draw (a key off draw). You may need to make sure she is under the general 50mA draw. Most I typically get a hold of however, are much lower. If we are understanding your situation correctly.....No crank, dead battery. Also, the only computer controlled alternators I have ever had to test, have had to be done with a lab scope. This can possibly be considered a "monitor" and "command" signal so to speak...... maybe, heck i don't know lol. But It can be interpreted on a lab scope with the monitor signal generally being a constant square wave form and the command evenly pulsed with another square waveform. That may not make sense so i'll include a picture (off of my verus because I cant email the dang picture to myself from the verus) that is actually an IGT/IGF signal from a toyota pickup's ignition system that has a very similiar waveform. But I sounds like you'll need to go the first route.....good luck my friend.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by BrandonF.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34100 by Mechanic 350
Sorry, I mean that the car is not wanting to turn off.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34101 by Mechanic 350
No Brandon, the van starts, I was under the impression that I needed to see 14v plus on my meter to tell me that my alternator is charging my battery. That’s all. I wasn’t aware that the threshold was 13.5 to 15.0v.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34102 by Mechanic 350

More
4 years 6 months ago #34104 by Mechanic 350
By the way, what would my lab scope settings be if I wanted to see the alternators waveform? I have an old modis, not updated at all. thanks.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34115 by BrandonF
These signals can vary per manufacturer but they are generally large enough that you can start on a 20v scale and 500ms or 1s time base and then work down from there for detail and repetition, as Mr. Paul has taught us. I'm still possibly not understanding your issue though. So, When you are turning the key off, the vehicle is still running? If so, you may need to start at the electrical side of the ignition switch.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34116 by Mechanic 350
No Brandon that’s not it buddy. The issue is that I’m trying to make sure that my alternator is charging my battery properly. And I thought that if I didn’t see 14 volts, my alternator was bad. Which is not the case. The alternator is putting out 13.7 volts, even with all my accessories on.

More
4 years 6 months ago #34118 by BrandonF
Oh, my bad brother. Got totally confused when you said the car wasn't wanting to turn off. I hope you get her handled bud.

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds