Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Chevrolet Truck Colorado 4WD 3.5L engine stalls or dies

More
4 years 5 months ago #34039 by Minor
Question on Gm is the driver for the coils set up in the same way the injectors were it shut out if the resistance is too high. The truck is throwing codes P0455 and P0300. but I don't think that's why it's dying while rolling down the road. I think it's a possible injector or coil cause the problem it doesn't do it all the time. It could run 2 maybe 3 days before it happens again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34042 by BetterCallBrody
I think if the resistance was too high it would throw a code for that circuit?

More
4 years 5 months ago #34047 by Minor
Well, those codes were given by Autozone. I went in and check myself and came up with Po300. Engine miss fire. I also went to the body control module and found some more a B0005 Neutral safety switch and a B2624 dimmer switch problem. Now I wondering since the truck has 200,000 on it if the miss is in the boots on the spark plugs and cause it to die. Cylinder 5 had 300 in history and it show all of them had been missing. SO I guess I start with the simple stuff first clean the throttle body and Mass Airflow, then pull plugs and check out the system for bad parts in the ignition system. I'll see what that looks like.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34060 by John Curtis
How long has the vehicle had the misfire?
If it were a bad coil it would most likely be cylinder specific.

Does the stall happen only when the engine is hot? And when it does will the vehicle start and run?
Do you have live data or a fuel pressure gauge? I’d start with fuel delivery.

Making Pressure Differential Sensors (PDA Sensors) for pressure pulse diagnostics.
Currently servicing Central Texas.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34065 by juergen.scholl
A single cylinder misfire is not likely to make the engine stall.....

Could you share the freeze frame data and elaborate on the conditions when the engine actually stalls, please? Do you know what goes missing when stalling( do you suspect spark and hence the original question?)
Will it restart easily?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 5 months ago #34066 by autojoe
Gm has tsb relating to carbon buildup on valves. Get some techtron total fuel system cleaner put in 1/2 tank. Also works well on injectors.pull and check plugs. Carbon would cause high compression and lean condition. If you had a scan tool to monitor your fuel trims under load.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34423 by Minor
Kind of an update here. Here what I found so far. I check and replace the plugs even though they did look that bad at customer request. Check plug boots and coils. I found one coil that looks like the weld had cracked to the body ground so to see it that was the case I moved it over one to see if the problem follows it. That did seem to change the misfire data any. It sill cam back with cylinders 5 and 1 having a bunk of misses. I decided to reset the crank and cam timing. I drove it for about an hour and recorded no misses in history like it was having. I went through some of the troubleshooting things in Snapon Scanner and there seem to be a fuse box problem going on with these truck because it located close to the batter and kind of below it. I found the terminal end at the 100 amp fuse really looked bad. After I pulled them I saw that that fuse was just as bad on the backside where it bolts down to the box. The next day I decided to pull the fuse box out and inspect it. After looking at it I think there could be a problem in the buss bar in the fuse box were all the pieces that hold the fuse connect to it. I seeing green inside the box when I pry it open some. I trying to figure out a way to open that part of the box and take a better look. I think it getting hot on the buss bar and lossing connection after watch the data on the scanner when it dies. everything connected to the computer went N/A for about 20 to 30 seconds when it died. Then the data cam back online by itself.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34427 by VegasJAK
P0455 is an EVAP code for a large EVAP leak. the P0300 random misfire can be related to the EVAP problem. the stalling problem is a symptom of an EVAP leak as well. a purge solenoid opening can stall the engine. I would resolve the EVAP problem first.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
4 years 5 months ago #34512 by Minor
Replaced purge solenoid still same problem... I'm trying to figure out a way to prove the fuse box is either good or bad.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34513 by Minor
After it dies it starts with no problem. It shows no sign it's going to die till it does or sometime it will start to die under load but then straighten right back up and keep running.

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #34514 by Minor
It doesn't act like a fuel issue. truck runs great till it decided to just die. Pulled plugs looked good but replace them anyway at the customer's request. Check the plate was clean...I also took the coils for the cylinder that was misfiring and moved them to see if it follows them. the last time I check the records it did not follow the coils. After that, I did do a cranked and cam reset, I drove it for about 45 minutes and the misfires are not coming back yet. I was researching this and ran across something to do with Spit Package and corrosion cause problems.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Minor.

More
4 years 5 months ago #34532 by VegasJAK
What are the STFT/LTFT and 02 readings. Are you still getting P0455 and P0300.

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds