Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2011 Jeep grand Cherpkee / 3.6 charging issue

More
4 years 6 months ago #33981 by jsampson
I have a 11 Jeep with a 3.6. why wife smelled burning Friday on the way home. She got home I didnt smell anything and no lights on on the dash. The belt and tensioner are fine. I checked voltage at the alternator and is was battery voltage. removed the alternator and had it tested, it failed the test. Bought a new alternator and had it tested before installing it. Still having the same issue. How do I test the 2 wires that go to the ECm that controle the alternator. I have heard that Jeepshave a issue with the diod failing and destroying the ECM..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #33984 by Cheryl
You have a scanner that can read live data? Should be able to see voltage sense and generator duty cycle and codes. Got power at the big battery wire at the alternator??

More
4 years 6 months ago #33985 by gav09
The 2 wires one will be a power and the other pulsed to ground by the engine computer. The last one I worked on that had a bad alternator also burned out the PCM. There was a recall for this condition so it went to the dealer.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds