Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2008 Suzuki XL7 Random Misfire/Timing Waveforms

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #33960 by Midnight_Commander
Hey All,

I have a 2008 Suzuki XL7 3.6L that contains a GM LY7 engine.

The vehicle is experiencing random misfire, and misfires on cylinder 2, 4, and 6. I've pulled the codes, I don't remember them off the top of my head but they but they are for those errors.

I'm trying to figure out cam/crank correlation since I know timing chain was a notorious issue with those engine. Does anyone have a known good waveform for this engine? I've scoured the internet high and low, and only managed to really find one diagram for bank 1.

Thanks,
Alan
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Midnight_Commander.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #33966 by Tyler
Chains are definitely notorious with this engine, but do you have any timing codes? Because if not, I'd say you're in the clear as far as the chains go. These PCM's are quick to code for timing problems.

Misses on bank two only would suggest a plugged catalytic converter, IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Midnight_Commander

More
4 years 7 months ago #33978 by Midnight_Commander
Yeah personally I'm kind of skeptical its timing as well since its not throwing cam/crank codes, but I figure it doesn't hurt to check.

The cat. point actually makes a lot of sense. I definitely over looked that. I'll look into the cat and see whats up.

Thanks,
Alan

More
4 years 7 months ago #33979 by Crombie
you could check the intake manifold gasket

More
4 years 7 months ago #34048 by Midnight_Commander
Yo Tyler, good shout on the plugged cat. Pulled bank two and it was literally blown to bits. I attached a picture of what was left inside the cat.

Not sure if this was the only cause of the problem, but it certainly wasn't helping.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #34061 by Midnight_Commander
Hey All,

Sorry about the double post. I cleared the obstruction in the cat. but as it seem the misfires are still occurring.

I also got the waveforms off the ECU, I'm still in search of the bank two wave forms from a known good configuration.

Thanks,
Alan
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Midnight_Commander.

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds